Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need outdoor curtain recommendations, please

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Need outdoor curtain recommendations, please

Our backyard is full blazing Oklahoma sun, which is wonderful until you sit in it for an hour or so...
    We have a pergola that I want to put outdoor curtains on, either tab top or grommets (if they are rust resistant) to increase our shade. While I would LOVE to get Sunbrella or Coolaroo fabric this year, I'm just not able to spend $100+ per panel right now (need 4), plus buy the rods. I'm hoping to get some inexpensive panels to make do for this year and maybe next year (or however long they last) and get some decent rods that won't rust. I'm willing to pay for good rods as I really only want to buy and put them up once.

Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thank you!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need outdoor curtain recommendations, please

Everyone at the lake uses roll up bamboo blinds. They will last 4-5 years from what I've been told.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

3. Back To Top    #3

I never did understand the whole point of a pergola for "shade" with an open top...............but they look nice! Tarp that rascal! Do you just need to like block one side where you get the most sun from? Lattice?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've seen folks use canvas tarps from the paint aisle at Lowes. With a grommet tool you can have some decent curtains on the cheap.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

was going to suggest the same as pooldv.. canvas dropped cloths from the paint aisle are a very popular DIY option..
    Build started 6/17. 33x23 free-form, IG, sport pool (approx 17k gallons). Plaster. SWG. Pentair CCP520, Pentair IF 3HP VSP (011018). Dolphin robot cleaner TDB

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The paint drop cloths work good and look cool - and you can get a cheap brass grommet installer - tool and brass rings at Harbor Freight for like $10.

This way you could put brass rings in the top for a rod or better yet - a piece of stainless or steel cable.

Also if you are really handy you can sew a hem into the bottom and top and make them look very stylish.

Look on Pintrest.

B
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I used these drop cloths from Home Depot in the past. And my husband used some type of plumbing pipe to make my outdoor curtain rod on our porch. They worked well, but they do fade/fray and need to be replaced each season. Plus: then you can then reuse them as drop cloths. If they are in a spot where they get wet, they will mildew which is impossible to remove.
    Everbilt 5-3/4 ft. x 8-3/4 ft. Canvas Drop Cloth-69CV8 - The Home Depot

I have had these outdoor curtains for the past 2 years. I like them better than the drop cloths. A couple places sell them, so check around for the lowest price. They come in various colors, tab top or grommet and various lengths.
    Elrene Matine Indoor/Outdoor Window Curtain Panel

Whichever curtains you chose, you will want them a tiny bit short (i.e., "floods" and not sweeping the ground). They will get dirty, stay damp and fray from blowing back and forth if they drag or touch the ground.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

8. Back To Top    #8

At my old house, I once used a a few fabric shower curtains with a tropical pattern to enclose part of a hot tub area for changing. They held up unbelievably well considering what a cheap solution they were. They come impregnated with a water repellant and mildew resistance.
    In ground vinyl Grecian, 24k gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, VGreen VSP 165, Hayward SWG, Raypak NG 265k heater, dolphin m4.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

<<<<<<...Loves cheap solutions.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

I see a bunch of Sunbrella type panels on Ebay all the time. Im planning on ordering some that are $29 for a 50 x 84" panel.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Sorry- been working ALOT...

I love all the great suggestions!! Thank you all!

Unfortunately, tarping the top isn't the fix. We get the sun shining through the south and west sides, hence the need for a curtain/shade of some sort. I have family arriving in 2 1/2 weeks, so not enough time is available for me to DIY something right now. Just need something I can put up ready made. I'll look into the bamboo shades and check out eBay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Killer95Stang View Post
    I see a bunch of Sunbrella type panels on Ebay all the time. Im planning on ordering some that are $29 for a 50 x 84" panel.
    Can you share who the seller is?
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

12. Back To Top    #12

We built a covered 10x10 space on our deck. There is room for 5 plus tv/xbox. We bit the bullet on Sunbrella and have not looked back. Four panels on the west side work great. Three years and still in new condition. Punched a small hole in the bottom corner to screw in a metal hook. Used bungee cords to hold them in place...they can flex a little in the wind.
    Spring 2016 Install, 24'x54" Saltwater LX AG Round Pool (13500 gal.), AquaPro 200 SQ. FT. Cartridge Filter System 2-HP 2-Speed Pump, Solaxx Saltron Retro Jet RJ Saltwater Chlorine Generator, Aqualuminator Above Ground Pool Light, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Borate and Salt, Well Water.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just saw some great outdoor curtains at a reasonable price at improvementscatalog.com.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 544 sq feet in ground shotcrete pool, 3.6' to 6' depth, stone coping. Includes: Spa elevated 18 with stacked stone, Concrete Deck
, 18 raised beam with stacked stone Waterfalls on raised beam wall, Stacked stone on firepit side, 4' Firepit, Flagstone steps to firepit area

14. Back To Top    #14

Coolaroo shades are the bomb.dot.com!!! We love ours on our screened porch. Generic cream colored ones can be found in somewhat standard sizes at Lowes sometimes, or special order directly to Coolaroo for colors or sizes. We special ordered ours to get the color we wanted and they were back in 3 weeks or so. VERY well made.

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TomGallopavo View Post
    We built a covered 10x10 space on our deck. There is room for 5 plus tv/xbox. We bit the bullet on Sunbrella and have not looked back. Four panels on the west side work great. Three years and still in new condition. Punched a small hole in the bottom corner to screw in a metal hook. Used bungee cords to hold them in place...they can flex a little in the wind.
    I would just "bite the bullet" too, but I don't have the moolah right now

Quote Originally Posted by mamasmith View Post
    Just saw some great outdoor curtains at a reasonable price at improvementscatalog.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I'll take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Coolaroo shades are the bomb.dot.com!!! We love ours on our screened porch. Generic cream colored ones can be found in somewhat standard sizes at Lowes sometimes, or special order directly to Coolaroo for colors or sizes. We special ordered ours to get the color we wanted and they were back in 3 weeks or so. VERY well made.

Maddie
    Thanks, Maddie! I may end up going that route. Good to know you like yours!
    Denise-TFP Guide

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Me likes Coolaroo too.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post

Maddie
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    Me likes Coolaroo too.
    I'm leaning toward the Coolaroo cordless shades for this year for a couple of reasons:
    -I can get them locally
    -Less expensive than the curtains and curtain rods

I have a couple of questions for you both-

Have you had any difficulty with them melting in the direct sun? I saw a review with pictures of large melted holes in the shade supposedly from constant direct sun.

How do you have yours mounted? I think I would rather have mine mounted to the underside of the beam than on the face. Is this possible? Got pictures of your shades in use?
    Denise-TFP Guide

18. Back To Top    #18

I purchased these to serve as a privacy barrier to shield my pool from the neighbor's noisy dog...and to shield my neighbors from any noisy guests! The plan will be to anchor them to 4x4 posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    35,000 IG plaster pool, built ~1975 (owner since August, 2016)
    Harris 152716 pump, installed 2016 | Aquatech High Rate Sand Filter, installed ??? | Raypak RP 2100 heater (connected, unused)
    Traditional Chlorine | Municipal Water

19. Back To Top    #19

We got ours from Home Depot and they have worked well! We've had them for quite some time.

18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

20. Back To Top    #20

Need outdoor curtain recommendations, please

Other side we added a 2x4 to mount.
    18.5k gal, IG, Quartzscape Aruba Sky Caribbean, Hayward Cartridge, 2.5HP Hayward Tri-Star VS (3 - Pool/Spa, Waterfall/Slide, Weeping Rocks), Apr 2017 install, Taylor 2006 Test Kit, 6x9 Spa w/Hayward 400k BTU, Hayward Omnilogic 8, Hayward Tigershark Robot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast