Do you keep your pump and filter on or off???

Jun 6, 2009
Quick question since this is another weekend where the pool is not going to be used due to the weather. I think I'm living in the rain forest. We opened up the pool on Memorial Day weekend and due to cold temps and now rain almost every day, for the last 2 weeks, we still have not used our pool. Hoping next weekend will be the one.

Anyway my question is the following. When you guys used your pool do you guys keep your pump and filter on or off??? I used to keep on but someone told me I should turn it off for safety reasons, electricity, water, and kids splashing not a good combination.

So if we ever get to used our pool this summer should I keep it on or off while the pool is being used???
Thanks.

Unless your pump is mounted on the top of the pool, it shouldn't be a problem. It's all designed for outdoor, rain exposed conditions. Of course if the rain continues enough to flood your yard (we're in hurricane alley...that's happened to us) and the pump gets submerged, then pull the plug and open the breaker. I sometimes turn the return eyeball up parallel to the surface and float around on the lazy river!

gugarci said:
Quick question since this is another weekend where the pool is not going to be used due to the weather. I think I'm living in the rain forest. We opened up the pool on Memorial Day weekend and due to cold temps and now rain almost every day, for the last 2 weeks, we still have not used our pool. Hoping next weekend will be the one.

Anyway my question is the following. When you guys used your pool do you guys keep your pump and filter on or off??? I used to keep on but someone told me I should turn it off for safety reasons, electricity, water, and kids splashing not a good combination.

So if we ever get to used our pool this summer should I keep it on or off while the pool is being used???
Thanks.

Sometimes mine is on, sometimes off. Doesn't really matter to me. Although I do enjoy when it is on because the force of the water swirling pushes me around the pool in my tube. :-D

It all depends if your pool/pump is properly grounded or not. You should seek the advice of an electrical expert.

I like the filter running when we are in, because the kids stir up all the crud and I don't have to vacume. :wink:

ANY electrical outlet in a potentially wet area should be on a GFCI circuit. A GFCI senses a fault or short situation and throws the breaker. Most outside circuits should be GFI. The breaker in the box may be GFI or a GFCI outlet may be used upstream from the pool outlet. Codes vary, so if you are unsure about the wiring, hire a qualified electrician for peace of mind. If your pump is properly grounded, and you have a GFCI circuit, there is no problem running the filter while swimming. Don't EVER run an extension cord to any outlet which you are not sure is GFCI. Don't EVER defeat the third prong on an extension cord.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.