Add Bleach to Skimmer or in Front of Return Jet?

Lolly

Jun 6, 2009
Concord NC
I could have sworn when I first started reading all the info on TFP that I read that bleach should be poured directly into the skimmer. Now this morning, I'm seeing a few places where you recommend adding in front of a return jet, including "How to Chlorinate Your Pool" in PS. (Why newbies should read PS first!)

:hammer:

We've probably put 10-12 174.oz jugs in our pool since last Saturday - lots at a time as we were shocking - poured directly into the skimmer. Should I be worried that any damage was done to the filter, pump etc?

I pour in front of the return but there are a few who do pour it into the skimmer.

I pour ours into the pool, not necessarily in front of the return but fairly close to it. We have an open area on one side of the deck where the pump is and I usually take water samples from there as well. It saves my aging butt from going up the steps to the pool deck !

TizMe,

Please know that if you don't use it you lose it! :mrgreen:

*back to regularly scheduled thread*

Lolly, you are gonna be okay. Just don't do it from now on. I'm thinking that bleach is probably the least harmful to have added through the skimmer.

Personally, I add most of my chems on the opposite side of the pool from the skimmer, and in the deeper part of the pool.

There are occasionally products that instruct you to pour them in the skimmer, but generally you should not get in the habit of it.

TizMe said:
It saves my aging butt from going up the steps to the pool deck !

I'm with you TizMe :lol:

But back to the question at hand. I pour miine in front of the return, and boy have I been pouring. :sunny: (New pool,sunny,and 95-100, whew)

The "in the skimmer or in front of the return" discussion is as interminable as "which filter is best?"

Common sense would indicate that either method is acceptable if you use some judgement about the rate at which you introduce the chemistry.

Lolly, we usually pour slowly in front of the return in the deep end; however, sometimes we walk and pour around the perimeter of the pool.

Tiz, we certainally do understand the 'short cut'!

You gotta lotta steps! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.