Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: electric installation question

1. Back To Top    #1

electric installation question

Hello..
    Rebuilding old pool. Have few questions about electric instalation.
    Actually new line... 8awg -3 in metal pipes from house panel... Id like install pool panel on shed's wall (if legal) any grounding rods then? No electric in shed ... Only pump and 2 12v transformers. Thers about 15' from pool to she and id like connect pump permamently no twist lock .
    Where gfci breaker should be located? House panel or pump?

Any sugestions ? Any pros and cons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: electric installation question

Quote Originally Posted by janosik81 View Post
    Hello..
    Rebuilding old pool. Have few questions about electric instalation.
    Actually new line... 8awg -3 in metal pipes from house panel... Id like install pool panel on shed's wall (if legal) any grounding rods then?
    Yes, a seperate structure then your primary dwelling will require a ground rod

No electric in shed ... Only pump and 2 12v transformers. Thers about 15' from pool to she and id like connect pump permamently no twist lock .
    Where gfci breaker should be located?
    In the shed will be fine for the gfi breaker. If you hard wire the pump, then you will need a separate disconnect within sight of the pump. If you leave the cord it serves as a disconnect.

House panel or pump?
    ???

Any sugestions ? Any pros and cons
    Leave the cord.

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks jza ... house already has 2 rods separated about 6'. So i understand that shed with panel attached to wall no need extra rods?
    Looks like need just disconnect switch and im ready to go...

Already got gfci 30amp breaker in house. I guess in shed will install regular breakers and gfci outlet.
    Thanks..

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this a 120v or 240v circuit? If you start moving things around your going to need to bring it up to code. That means pulling a 4th wire for ground or getting an EGC somehow.

1. Is the circuit run in threaded rigid pipe?
    2. Are there bonding bushings on the pipe?
    Pictures would help.

If this is just a 120V circuit then all of the above can be thrown out.
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Still need a ground rod because the shed is considered a seperate structure

17,000 gal 20' x 34' Polymer freeform pool, All Hayward products: Aqua plus 16v w/ SWG & Aqua connect, Summit 140k btu heat pump, Tristar VSP 1.85HP, 1 Universal Colorlogic light, 1 320 Colorlogic light, 1 4' lighted Sheer Descent, 2 Pentair Magic Bowls

6. Back To Top    #6

Agree if he moves the sub panel into his shed he needs a GE.
    Pool: 14,000-gal IG
    Filter: Pentair Sand Dollar, Pump: Pentair Superflo VS
    Automation: Pentair EasyTouch w/ Autelis, Lighting:Globrite
    Pentair SWG IC20, Prowler 820, K-2006

7. Back To Top    #7

Circut is 240volts with 4th wire as ground. Metal pipes 6" below, compresion couplings, no threaded. All pipes going 5' and more from pool walls. Shed is about 17' from pool. Wires are 8awg thhn/thwn2. 30amp gfci breaker in main panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasong View Post
    Agree if he moves the sub panel into his shed he needs a GE.
    Sub panel will be outside on the wall not into shed

8. Back To Top    #8

The ground must be an insulated conductor

9. Back To Top    #9

one question more about ground rod.. what distance from panel?? and ....is bonding rod with panel, pump, pool walls etc etc.. is enough or.... im suppose to lay separate wire just for rod?? awg 8 bonding wire is enough??

10. Back To Top    #10

Bare #8 to ground bus of the pool panel. Can be a few feet away outside the shed. I wouldn't go to far. By memory is supposed to have 25 ohms to ground or less, if not 2 are required. I do not think an inspector will go that far for a sub panel. But just letting you know the code. It wouldn't be a big deal to add one later

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Is the pool and equipment properly bonded?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I do not know who is, or is not qualified to answer the technical questions about the wiring in question, but it is the strong advice of the forum to seek a qualified electrician to examine and look at this first hand.

There are no aspersions or doubts being cast, do not misunderstand, but most of us are pool owners not qualified to answer such questions. You may get the correct answer here, but verify it as I suggested above.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

I absolutely agree and here is the nec 2014 code in a good illustrated way to understand it better. Hope that helps. I've also been an electrician for 20 years. I've only done a dozen pools in my career and will always brush up on these articles before I do another 1.https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59035575...as_2014NEC.pdf

14. Back To Top    #14

I also agree with getting a qualified electrician out there to look at the site. The bonding of the pool and electrical grounding are two separate systems they should not be joined together. There is no need to drive any grounding rods for a pool panel. The electrical ground for the subpanel should be wired back to the main panel with insulated ground wire.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    I also agree with getting a qualified electrician out there to look at the site. The bonding of the pool and electrical grounding are to separate systems they should not be joined together. There is no need to drive any grounding rods for a pool panel. The electrical ground for the subpanel should be wired back to the main panel with insulated ground wire.
    I'm sorry but I think you are misunderstanding. You are correct, you do not need a ground rod for a pool panel. You do need a ground rod because it is a panel in a seperate structure (op is installing a panel in his shed).
    I'm not trying to argue with you. Just trying to get the op the correct information for a safe install

16. Back To Top    #16

The Code is clear separate structures supplied with feeders or a multiwire branch circuit require their own grounding electrode. That said whether this qualifies as a separate structure, etc, etc, is a question best determined by a local inspector in that jurisdiction. I know how I would do it based on my experience with California inspectors. A local inspector in NY may see it differently. So I would be hesitant to state how to do it. I would call the local building department or a qualified electrician and ask.

That said the NEC generally allows additional grounding electrodes without any limit. And remember --- if you install a sub panel -- its still a sub panel and must have a separate neutral and ground buss bars.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

17. Back To Top    #17

I think gwegan wraps this up nicely with sound advice, so lets put it to rest and let the local qualified people determine what is needed.

Get this checked out by the pros and inspectors as suggested please. Thread closed.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem