Chlorinate before running pump?

Apr 26, 2017
Waterford, MI
Hello all (first post),

Last year I purchased my first home, and got the added bonus of a 35,000 gallon IG plaster pool. I used it without issue throughout the summer, and paid a local pool service to have the lines blown and the equipment winterized, and purchased and added a winterization kit for the water myself. No problems.

However, a few weeks ago we had a major windstorm here that blew the cover partly into the pool, dumping a considerable quantity of nasty, leaf-and-similar-filled water into the pool, which led me to decide to open it a little earlier than planned b/c I figured it would take longer to get it to normal. Again, no real problems.

However, upon pulling the cover off yesterday (and falling in in the process :p), I discovered that I have a small handful of tiles that fell off where there was loose grout, which I need to replace before I can re-fill the rest of the water (currently lowered to below the return jets). I cannot do this before the first couple of days of next week. Since I cannot refill the water yet, I also cannot turn on the equipment.

My concern is that I now have a pool exposed to the sun and rain, which does not yet have sanitizing chemicals (I generally just use bleach, although prior owner also used tablets in a floater). Should I dump some bleach in there for the next few days, even though I can't run the pump, to prevent any algae growth, or should I be alright/it wouldn't help without the circulation from the pump?

heya neighbor - Welcome!

I hate to be critical of your first post, but we're gonna need a much more detailed description of you falling in! :p

Remember to re-calculate pool capacity based on the current water level. Brushing and stirring the water a few times a day if possible can help keep the green monster at bay until you can run the pump.

I was walking backwards to stretch the cover back out after trying to get the remaining muck on the cover top in one place. Unfortunately I took a step too far. Fortunately I went into the (transparent, if not "clean") pool rather than the mucky cover.

One additional question - I have a drop test kit that has all the chemical agents necessary for the major tests....except CYA. I know this site usually advises against pool store testing, but since my understanding is that CYA isn't really something you should have to test for on a regular basis unless you use tablets (I don't), I'm wondering whether the pool store's CYA test would be reliable enough to avoid buying another test kit just for a test that only needs performed very infrequently?

Only thing I buy from the pool store is muriatic acid, as the local hardware stores only carry that in a diluted, surface-cleaner-quality concentration.

CYA test happens to be the one pool stores are the worst arty getting anywhere close to correct.

What kit do you have? Does it have the required FAS-DPD chlorine test?

It was purchased from Walmart at the end of last season. I remember it listed as a five-way test, but I don't remember what the brand was. It isn't one of the blue-box variety, that much I know.

I have a separate FAS-DPD (K-1515) test kit that was purchased for me by a relative who also has a pool.

I also have a vial of strips, and I did run one of them yesterday, it produced a CYA reading that looked to be somewhere between the first (0) and second (30-50) reference boxes on the legend.

Well, I would suggest you throw the strips away and do not confuse yourself.

I would also suggest you invest in a good test kit. I have my doubts that the cheap 5-way kit really measures everything you should know.

At the beginning you will be using the FAS-DPD chlorine test a lot, so the one that you have will not go to waste. It is just that the other tests you have will be questionable as nearly all of us use and trust the Taylor tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Much to my surprise, when i dug the store-bought test kit out of the cupboard under the stairs this afternoon, I DID have CYA reagent...it was the alkalinity bottle I was missing. My CYA was somewhere just shy of 30 (I had to fill the vial all the way to the top, but the dot did disappear).

How much would three of those stabilized chlorine tablets be expected to raise CYA? I still have a handful of them left over, and wondering if I can just use those in the floater in the short term to help give the CYA a little bit of a boost.

Use PoolMath and it will tell you what those 8oz Trichlor tablets will add to your pool. Use the effects of adding chemicals section, note this is not part of the app yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.