Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping FC up

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping FC up

So I have some algae, but I cant seem to keep the FC up. I'm probably not adding enough chlorine frequently enough, but with a higher CYA I'd expect levels to be higher.

today:
    FC 2.4
    CC 0.2
    pH 8.0
    TA 100
    CH 270
    CYA 100
    CSI .29

4/12
    FC 1.0
    CC 0.2
    ph 8
    TA 105
    CH 270
    CYA 90

1) Should I add only 1/2 of the target 4 GAL of bleach, and the 2 qts of 28.3 MA or full amount of both bleach and MA?
    2) should I drain and fill to bring down CYA? I dont want there to be so much chlroine it's unpleasant to swim.
    Last edited by Mycall9550; 04-26-2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added CC
    45,000 gallon (18x49) in ground plaster in Houston. [Gallery]
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 w wireless remote, Hayward TigerShark QC, & Taylor 2006c

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping FC up

With algae you need to be following the slam process. That requires much higher FC levels. However with your high CYA it would make more sense to replace half the water before starting the slam.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

4 gallons of bleach in a 45k gallon pool will not get you to SLAM level if that's what you're asking. I'd drain water to get your CYA to 60, then SLAM it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I also just saw that it's been 2 weeks between your testing. To start the slam you need to be testing every 2 hours or so.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Ive been brushing more frequently getting it before it's "thick" on the walls, so do I need to slam if I can keep the levels up?
    with a CC of .2 does that mean there's not much algae after brush and vacuum?
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Any sign of algae means that you need to follow the slam process until you pass the three criteria to stop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

OK. .

8. Back To Top    #8

So, when I drian the pool how much (really 1/2)?

When I start SLAM ,I presume that will shut down the pool - no swimming.

Will it get the algae in the photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

You need to replace half the water. During the slam you need to brush the entire pool and two that will get rid of the algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Another question, do I load up on chlorine, once balanced post slam, when I'm on holiday?
    no automated chlorinator.
    Or do I buy tablets?
    Am using TFP method now w bleach for chlorine

11. Back To Top    #11

If your cya is not already too high many people do use tablets while on vacation. Although ideally you could get someone to swing by the house every few days and add bleach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator