Jun 19, 2016
Jackson NJ
Opened pool to swamp.

FC: 0-1
CC: 0
pH: 8.2+
TA: 60
CYA: 0

Do I add Muriatic Acid to drop pH or first adjust TA up to 110 by adding baking soda? Or should I do both?

Also, need to add CYA and chlorine. Can I do all at the same time or there a recommended order?

Thanks

I agree with the above. But I just wanted to add that you can add the cya in a sock and get it dissolving at the same time it is in fact slightly acidic so will help lower the ph some.

Thanks. Good thing I asked. I think the instructions that come (laminated sheet) with the TF-100 say recommended TA is 100-120. But I see that you recommend 50-90+ , which means I am in range. So will add the CYA in sock and lower pH, then shock.

Good thing I asked.

So I got Muriatic Acid from Home Depot, it is only 20%. I added 64 oz. (full dose according to Pool Math) about 3.5 hours ago. Retested the pH now and still reading 8.2.

1) Could it be that the pH was so much higher than 8.2 and the acid has worked to lower it but need to add another bottle?

2) Is there any downside to adding too much MA?

Thanks

So added more MA and thought I followed PoolMath recommendations but, on last test, reading is 6.8 and could be lower. Now what?

I really want to start the SLAM. I read somewhere that pH rises during SLAM anyway. So can I just go ahead and wait to balance the pH until SLAM is over or must I add Borax (or Baking Soda??) now to get to 7.2? What could go wrong if I SLAM with a low pH?

This is the greatest site!!

You should raise the pH back up in the 7s, because you do not know how low it really is. Use borax or washing soda, NOT baking soda.

Low pH could damage your liner or pool equipment (especially your heater).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.