Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Question

Hello,

New to TFP and I have a few questions regarding stabilizer.
    I completed a test, all except for calcium hardness, and here are the results:

FC- 6.5
    CC- 0
    Ph- 7.5
    TA- 120
    CYA- 20

I have a SWG so I clearly need to get the CYA up. Here are my questions:
    When completing the test should I not be able to see anything at all in the bottom, or just until the edges of the dot are no longer visible?

According to poolmath, I need 176 oz (by weight) of CYA. Should I put this in in two doses, testing between? (I have already learned to put it in a sock in front of a return jet.)

Is the Clorox poolcare stabilizer that is available at Lowes acceptable? They have it in 5.5 lb containers, which is exactly 88 ounces.

I know that the CYA will lower the Ph, but it looks like my TA is high, so I can just aerate to bring the Ph back up and take some of the TA back down, right?

Thanks for any help with this! By the way, I think my signature is right, except I will have to add that our pool is in-ground. I do that after this post.

--Mike
    20 by 40 Vinyl, 33,000 gallons
    SWG- Jandy AquaPure 1400; Jandy Sand Filter
    Jandy 1.5 HP single speed pump
    Polaris robot
    TF100 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Question

The dot should disappear.

You are wise not to add all the CYA at once. The pool may not be as big as the builder claims. It's easy to add more, hard to remove excess. As long as the label says cyanuric acid and is 99% or better, that's the stuff. As long as you don't block all the flow, you can just the sock in the skimmer basket. It's less work that rigging it up in front of a return. Just leave the pump on the whole time, or fish the sock out and set it in a plastic bucket if you need to shut the pump off.

As an aside, the stuff dissolves fairly slow, so the pH will not drop all the sudden. The high TA will work against that and you might not even have to aerate to bump the pH back up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: CYA Question

The old sock in the skimmer to add CYA is definitely the way to go...takes a while but it's ALWAYS best to add chemicals slowly.
    Mark M
    Huntingtown MD
    In-ground, Plaster, 23,000 Gal., Spillover Spa, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Hayward Pro High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward "Gold" Single Speed 2 HP Super-Pump, Raypak Propane Spa Heater, XtremepowerUS Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner, Flagstone Coping, TF-100 Test Kit