Used Pool Slide Installation

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hey everyone, I figured I'd start a new topic for my used slide question as a lot of the info I found didn't address my question 100%

Firstly, I recently bought a used 6ft slide off of Craigslist. It definitely needs to be refinished and I think I'm covered there - will pressure wash the surface with 2000psi, then maybe lightly sand, then use some sort of cleaning chemical (I forget which, but I have the info bookmarked), then put on primer and "paint". I think it's this Interlux stuff but I haven't decided 100% I'm not terribly concerned with what I will paint it with.

My real question has to deal with mounting it on my IG pool deck. I see ground flanges for pools that are in the $200 range EACH. This is crazy to me. Therefore, here is my question. I have access to CAD software and a 3D printer. Does anyone here know if a 3D printed flange bolted into the ground will be good enough to secure my slide?

If this isn't a viable solution, I was simply going to use a couple of L-brackets at each of the slide posts and anchor those to the concrete with concrete inserts.

What are your thoughts on this?

You can get high quality deck mounted ladder mounts for $20-$30 each. You would need four normally.

Why reinvent something that you can buy better quality for less - especially when there is safety involved.

If the slide is fiberglass - paint is normally not going to stick. If it is fiberglass you would need to hot coat it or paint a thin coating of resin
onto the board. If damaged or if you want to recolor it you may need a sanding coat or two before that.. its a thicker resin with wax in it made for sanding. This is how you finish a surfboard. It has be be sanded before it will adhere.

Check out a surfboard supply company like fiberglass supply.

I think recommending anything outside of the manufacturer's specifications would not be prudent for this forum :) how are we supposed to know the material strength characteristics of your 3D printer?

OK everyone, I found deck flanges that will fit the round poles of the slide perfectly for $14 each, and in ground inserts for $6 each set - no problem anticipated there.

The ladder legs are NOT poles, however, and instead have a "C" cross section. How in the world do I install THAT into the deck? I couldn't find any deck flanges for that, unless I'm not looking properly. If I cannot find any mounting hardware, I was going to simply chip away from the concrete for maybe 1 or 2" deep if I could using a chisel and hammer. we're talking a small foot print for the C channel, and I think it'll be "easy". I was then going to anchor it with quickrete or something like that. Alternatively, I could use simple "L" brackets and drill two anchors into the concrete as well.

Thank you for steering me away from 3D printing something. I agree that they wouldn't be as safe as something designed for the job.

Any thoughts on the ladder legs?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.