Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used Pool Slide Installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Used Pool Slide Installation

Hey everyone, I figured I'd start a new topic for my used slide question as a lot of the info I found didn't address my question 100%

Firstly, I recently bought a used 6ft slide off of Craigslist. It definitely needs to be refinished and I think I'm covered there - will pressure wash the surface with 2000psi, then maybe lightly sand, then use some sort of cleaning chemical (I forget which, but I have the info bookmarked), then put on primer and "paint". I think it's this Interlux stuff but I haven't decided 100% I'm not terribly concerned with what I will paint it with.

My real question has to deal with mounting it on my IG pool deck. I see ground flanges for pools that are in the $200 range EACH. This is crazy to me. Therefore, here is my question. I have access to CAD software and a 3D printer. Does anyone here know if a 3D printed flange bolted into the ground will be good enough to secure my slide?

If this isn't a viable solution, I was simply going to use a couple of L-brackets at each of the slide posts and anchor those to the concrete with concrete inserts.

What are your thoughts on this?
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;
    Pool install 1980's; TF-100 Test Kit; Stage 2 California drought restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used Pool Slide Installation

Looking at the same thing in the near future. This is the anchors I have been considering, https://www.amazon.com/Perma-Cast-Fl.../dp/B003ZTS8VQ

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You can get high quality deck mounted ladder mounts for $20-$30 each. You would need four normally.

Why reinvent something that you can buy better quality for less - especially when there is safety involved.

If the slide is fiberglass - paint is normally not going to stick. If it is fiberglass you would need to hot coat it or paint a thin coating of resin
    onto the board. If damaged or if you want to recolor it you may need a sanding coat or two before that.. its a thicker resin with wax in it made for sanding. This is how you finish a surfboard. It has be be sanded before it will adhere.

Check out a surfboard supply company like fiberglass supply.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I think recommending anything outside of the manufacturer's specifications would not be prudent for this forum how are we supposed to know the material strength characteristics of your 3D printer?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK everyone, I found deck flanges that will fit the round poles of the slide perfectly for $14 each, and in ground inserts for $6 each set - no problem anticipated there.

The ladder legs are NOT poles, however, and instead have a "C" cross section. How in the world do I install THAT into the deck? I couldn't find any deck flanges for that, unless I'm not looking properly. If I cannot find any mounting hardware, I was going to simply chip away from the concrete for maybe 1 or 2" deep if I could using a chisel and hammer. we're talking a small foot print for the C channel, and I think it'll be "easy". I was then going to anchor it with quickrete or something like that. Alternatively, I could use simple "L" brackets and drill two anchors into the concrete as well.

Thank you for steering me away from 3D printing something. I agree that they wouldn't be as safe as something designed for the job.

Any thoughts on the ladder legs?
    16,250 Gallons, IG Plaster; Pentair Clean & Clear CC100 Cartridge Filter with WhisperFlo Pump;

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you link the brackets you found?

18x36 inground / 28k gal / Vinyl liner (replaced in 2018) / Hayward Pro Series sand filter / Hayward 1hp pool pump / Hayward 3/4hp booster pump / Stenner pump (85MHP17) w/55 gallon storage tank / Pentair heat pump HP1200 (To be installed) / TF100 Test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by joshua5438 View Post
    Can you link the brackets you found?
    here ya go:

Deck Anchor Flange - White Aluminum 19 Od - 4 Hole

Hardware Only For 19 Deck Flange - 1 Each