Newb - Brand new salt cell not producing chlorine

Hello,

Love the forum and use it repeatedly to try and learn about what I have inherited from previous owners. Old salt cell went bad, didn't realize it until we had over 7k ppm in the pool. Drained 1/3 of pool and refilled, now have 3000ppm! Excellent. Ordered new salt cell, screwed it in but now it's not producing any chlorine. I do run into an issue where I get "No Flow" Chlorine Generator Off. This occurs when the Filter button on the Aqualogic PS? turns off automatically after anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. There have been so many errors/repairs I can't really keep track but I am now in this to fix it as I have dropped so much $ into the pool. I believe the No Flow is because of this sensor. Please help if you think I am on the right track.
20170426_194008.jpg

Mitch,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your SWCG questions... :shark:

You seem to have a number of issues, so let's look at them one at a time..

1. Low/no flow. The SWCG must have water flowing through it to generate any chlorine. Since it is dangerous for the cell to generate chlorine when there is no water flowing through it, most systems have a flow sensor that shuts the cell off if there is not enough water flowing. If you can feel a good strong flow of water being returned to your pool at the eyeball returns, then that would generally be enough flow to turn on the flow switch. So, if the no flow indicator is on, and you have good pressure at the pool returns, then most likely the flow sensor is bad. The sensor in your picture is the gray and black device with the wires coming out the black part. It just unscrews and a new ones screws right in.

2. Besides the flow switch the pump must be running for the SWCG to produce chlorine. You say that the "filter button" turns off after 20 minutes. Since the filter is all mechanical, I believe you mean that the pump, which is pushing the water through the filter is shutting off. You need to find out why that is.. I know of no reason your pump would shut off on its own.. Sounds to me like it is not being programmed correctly. Normally, you need to set up a schedule for your pump to run for the amount of hours you want to generate chlorine. Do you know what your automation is currently programmed to do? Do you know how to program the system yourself?

3. While the no flow problem could be the sensor, if the pool returns do not have a strong flow then I would think the problem is more likely to be a dirty filter.

Do some checking and let us know what you find out..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim,

Thanks for replying so quick. You are correct definitely two issues. I just ordered a new flowswitch to rule that out so hopefully that issue will be resolved. In regards to the filter, the pump never turns off, the filter light on the panel goes out after anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour pump still pumping.
Inked20170426_210546_LI.jpg

Mitch,

How is the flow out of your pool returns?

I see the filter light/button, but it can't really shut off the filter itself, so I'm puzzled.

Please tell me all you can about your automation system.. P/N, model, mfg, anything that might help me look at this..

Also, what kind of pump do you have? And is it controlled by your automation system?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mitch,

I don't believe that the Aqualogic can control the SuperFlo VS.. I suspect that the pump is being run by its internal clock and program. That is why the pump never shuts off.

Can you change pump speeds using your automation?

Please see if your pump has a small control cable going between the pump and your automation.

Where does the flow switch wiring go???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here are some pictures of the setup, I think there is something to the speed of the pump and the filter setting going off. I will test that theory this weekend. There is an interface from the pump to the control panel but the last company to come out said it would not work how it should and we should setup the times on the pump itself.

20170312_174344.jpg20170312_174353.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.