About Ready To Give Up

Mar 21, 2017
West Monroe, LA
Ok - I've had some threads on here and have SUPER appreciated the help!! But as of tonight - I'm about ready to give and just let this thing go - so if you're up for challenge - let me know - cause I got one!

History:
Have drained pool to deal with high CYA (was well over 100). Have done CuLator metal kit due to orange stains in pool along with Ascorbic Acid and Sequester.

Current situation:

Refilled pool with city water - noted metal stains coming back - left FC @ 0 for a day or day and half while I followed AA treatment. Noted that CYA was now down to about 20. Ph will NOT drop below 7.5 currently. (tried adding muruatic acid to get it down - but it just comes back).

OK - so that being said, I've been working on bringing up the FC slowly per AA treatment and then algae (I believe...) rolled in suddenly about 2 days or so ago. So I reluctantly began a slam - I cannot get FC over 1 - and this is 12+ gallons of Chlorox in. I'm currently adding 2.5 gallons in the morning and evening. So that's one problem. 2nd problem is, now the pool is back to a very nice iron looking mess on the steps and walls again because I had to SLAM. Couldn't see drain or polaris in water because it was so cloudy and murky. The reason I say it must be algae is I'm seeing brown/beige material in the skimmer socks everyday and it's kind of slick/slimy. Plus with the SLAM the water is clearing...but slowly. I coulnd't see anything 2 days ago in the pool and today - I can see the ladder, polaris and drain in the deep end.

Pool company came over today for a health check of whole setup (remember I'm a new home owner on this setup...so got it checked out) - got good bill of health all the way around - but he commented on the water color - and said it wasn't metal but phosphates. Wanted me to come by and buy pool tonic by bioguard. I differ - took vit c and rubbed on wall - turned blue just like I expected.

But now - I have to start ALL over again - and drop the FC and so forth. I'm REALLY frustrated. How do I get out of this cycle?

Thanks for ANY help!

Step one: kill the algae. The more frequently you can replenish the bleach, the faster it goes. Twice a day isn't often enough. And don't try to overdose to compensate, you'll just bleach the liner. When you're sure it's all gone -- maybe even repeat the OCLT a second time -- then add some algaecide. That will keep the algae at bay while the ascorbic acid does its stuff.

Reread Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain and Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains and follow the instructions.

Thanks for the help and input Richard320! unfortunately work gets in the way of more than 2x's a day - but I can try to do more over the weekend coming up.

So the good news is this is the 1st morning I've gotten up and I had a FC of 3 - not 0 - and pool looked clearer this morning. Still can't see drain in deep end easily, but can see vs before.

So the question now - is keep SLAM moving forward, get through OCLT - then....drop the FC after adding algaecide and re-do AA treatment? Is that correct?

Step one: kill the algae. The more frequently you can replenish the bleach, the faster it goes. Twice a day isn't often enough. And don't try to overdose to compensate, you'll just bleach the liner. When you're sure it's all gone -- maybe even repeat the OCLT a second time -- then add some algaecide. That will keep the algae at bay while the ascorbic acid does its stuff.

Reread Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain and Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains and follow the instructions.

Thanks for the help and input Richard320! unfortunately work gets in the way of more than 2x's a day - but I can try to do more over the weekend coming up.

So the good news is this is the 1st morning I've gotten up and I had a FC of 3 - not 0 - and pool looked clearer this morning. Still can't see drain in deep end easily, but can see vs before.

So the question now - is keep SLAM moving forward, get through OCLT - then....drop the FC after adding algaecide and re-do AA treatment? Is that correct?
Yep. Treat them as two separate processes.

Gotcha - so is there such a thing as too much algaecide? I put some in after I refilled the pool because I did the AA treatment - but it might have been too late or something and that's how I got in this mess particularly I think. We had 2 really warm days right after I refilled the pool a few days ago (like I said, drained to get CYA down..) - and then it was super cloudy which I attributed to the AA treatment - but then it went way south - so I don't want this to happen again...

So finish SLAM - make sure OCLT is good - THEN...

On to algaecide - (how long to I wait after putting in the algaecide before dropping the FC to 0 for the AA treatment?) - then drop FC - AA treatment to get it off my walls/stairs again - then wait overnight - then start raising FC - does this all sound correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.