"Side benefits" of borates and salt?

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
"Pondering the deep mysteries.." (A quote from "The Deeper End" board description) - Yes, indeed.

So I added 50 ppm borates and salt because I read people said it’s good. What’s the use of being a member at TFP if you don’t listen? My salt level is now 3800 because apparently my pre-addition test was wrong. My goal was 2000 – 3000.
At the beginning I didn’t feel any difference. My water has always been “sweet”, so I wasn’t impressed. The only thing was that the water tasted a bit salty. I know I have to live with it until the next seasonal dilution. Yesterday I was swimming in the water for about half an hour. I was physically fatigue because I’ve been on some kind of medication for treating something that will soon go way. While I was spending that much time in the water, I felt like it had some special qualities. I couldn’t just describe it, but I had never had it before when all I had was the “regular” water balance. The water felt so “natural” and soothing. My swim movements were effortless. (Despite my avatar I am a far cry from being a Michael Phelps.)
After the swim I may have rested a bit and ate something, and after that I noticed an unusual boost of energy. This was definitely not just “being refreshed” from the pool.
I had a walk in the morning before the swim, and again later in the evening after the swim, and the difference in my energy level was incredible.
Whoever saw the movie “Cocoon” can relate to this description, although , obviously, my experience wasn’t so unworldly. I wonder if anyone may have experienced anything similar, and I want to thank all the numerous members who have reported about the benefits of having salt and borates.

Ohm_Boy said:
...and if you can add enough sulphur so that it tastes as crappy as the Ponce de Leon Fountain of Youth, you can open a tourist attraction and charge $8 a head.
The water in Orlando ain't much better than that water up here! You don't get sulpher free water until you hit S. Fl! :whip:
(and if you think the tourist traps up here are expensive take a look around at Mousetown! At least our attractions are based on history! :whoot:
:wink:

Well, there's more than a modicum of truth to that. And I will concede that Ponce's water is WAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than Mickey's. However, that said, it takes some doing to match the taste of that obligatory sip of Fountain of Youth water. _IF_ it's really water.

Ohm_Boy said:
Well, there's more than a modicum of truth to that. And I will concede that Ponce's water is WAAAAAYYYYYY cheaper than Mickey's. However, that said, it takes some doing to match the taste of that obligatory sip of Fountain of Youth water. _IF_ it's really water.
LOL, actually it just tastes like the regular tap water here...which is why I have whole house carbon filtration!

I had a chance for just a couple of more swims (the weather!) and now I'm convinced that this water has "special" qualities, not to mention that the "feel" is so "natural". I even got used to the 3800 ppm salt and it doesn't feel salty any more. On the contrary, my mouth just loves the taste. Obviously, the question to be asked is "what's next?"

Water_man said:
I had a chance for just a couple of more swims (the weather!) and now I'm convinced that this water has "special" qualities, not to mention that the "feel" is so "natural". I even got used to the 3800 ppm salt and it doesn't feel salty any more. On the contrary, my mouth just loves the taste. Obviously, the question to be asked is "what's next?"
A SWG?

waterbear said:
For what? To take care of the pool sanitation by chlorine, a task already taken care of effectively by a fraction of the cost of an SWG? With all due respect to those who consider the SWG as the ultimate pool sanitation device, I don't need it.
I'm talking about other beneficial chemicals. Maybe some chlorine resistant endorphins? LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
"Wisdom is knowing when to stop."
Poor Columbus. He must have lacked wisdom. Or Lincoln, who had failed 13 times and never stopped, or Edison who tried 1000 times before finally getting the bulb working, or...
Anyway, I thought it was obvious I was kidding, or wishing on a star. But maybe, a hundred year from now...but this is another story. :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.