Adding phosphate

Jun 27, 2012
Austin, TX
I spoke to a neighbor of mine that isn't on the TroubleFree Pool plan. They use pucks and whatever else they get from the pool store. They recently had an algae outbreak, and was told to add phosphates. Doesn't that sound counter intuitive? I thought phosphate would make the algae grow and not the other way around?

Most likely he was told to add phosphate remover, not phosphates. Adding phosphates would be the wrong way to go.

What he needs to do is SLAM his pool to get rid of the algae and then maintain the correct FC/CYA ratio. Once he has control over his pool and the water is properly balanced and maintained, then he can remove the phosphates (assuming some other conditions are met first). Phosphate removal treatments are an optional process that can sometimes help people that have a specific set of circumstances but they are not the correct way to treat an algae problem. Only a SLAM will get rid of the algae.

Agreed, they are almost certainly being told to add a phosphate remover. Keep in mind that the bottom of the Phosfree instructions includes a note,
Important: Algae must be treated prior to testing and lowering phosphates.

Reducing phosphates helps prevent a green pool, it is not the answer for clearing one.

Agreed, they are almost certainly being told to add a phosphate remover. Keep in mind that the bottom of the Phosfree instructions includes a note,

Reducing phosphates helps prevent a green pool, it is not the answer for clearing one.

That's what I thought. I told them they are most likely curing the symptom and not the cause. The wife wants me to tell the husband to get a TF100 kit, but I told her you can only lead a horse to water. I'll take my kit over this weekend and see what is going on. Thanks for all the replies!

Just be patient. The instructions for Phos-free even say not to put it in a pool that has algae. If his pool is greenish or cloudy now, he'll have a pool full of milk after he adds the miracle cure-all. He might ask you for advice when he sees your crystal-cl;ear pool and his wallet is $3-400 lighter.

Wohoo!! Got my neighbor converted! He ordered a stenner pump/tank combo like I have. 15 gallon version. I'm happy I could help someone else see the light.. or the clearer water.. or whatever! I think they were tired of spending $100 on snake oil each time they went to the pool store so that probably helped in their decision making.

Ironically enough for this thread's title, I'm doing a test where I'm purposely adding phosphates to some test tanks. Using some potassium phosphate I found lying around here. Have since found some sodium phosphate. But you don't find instructions for adding phosphates to a pool, for some reason... ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.