Shade Sail

I spent a "little extra" cause I liked their sleek look, not all "turnbuckly." I don't think I've ever looked at 'em!! :hammer:

I had a 13' x 20' up for two summers and loved it. I used junk oilfeild 3 1/2 pipe (3 1/2 od, 3 id)as the posts and they didn't move or flex or anything. The holes were hand dug and the posts moved in the holes and I have one post that moved in and caused too much slack and the sail did rip at the end of this year. Not bad we got 90 mph winds this year with a too loose install.

I'm redoing it this winter and will give more details

If you look through the gallery at https://shadesails.com, you'll notice how beefy the support pylons tend to be. If you have a tensioned shade sail (and not a hung tarp), they can generate a lot of force... They are literally sails: and it doesn't take much of a triangle to propel a four or five ton sailboat (30' boat) at a good clip.

Laughed out loud at this! Good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

cwescape, Would you mind showing a picture of how you connected the sails to the house? I'd like to do this also, but am concerned a monsoon is going to shred my house starting with the fascia. Bungee cords sounds intriguing. Perhaps they provide enough finesse when the gusts kick up?

lol - everyone has that same clock!

lol - everyone has that same clock!

Not everyone! When I brought my fire pit over from the previous house, the color of it didn't work in my yard with my new pool furniture. I tried to stain it, but the stain wouldn't take. Turns out it was resin, not concrete like I thought. So I found this three-part stuff at Sherwin Williams. First part is a texture that you can lay down in any pattern your skill and tools can muster, then two colors of paint that give it depth and aging. Came out so great that I did the same thing to my clock! The brand I like only makes one big enough for outside in chrome and silver (uh-hugly!). So I spray painted the chrome black, and applied my texture to match the pit!

fire pit.jpg

clock.jpg

Which, of course, has nothing to do with shade sails, but it's been surprisingly hard to find a thread in which to "casually" squeeze this in!! A mention of clocks has been the closest so far!! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.