Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: MUCH praise and...a question

1. Back To Top    #1

MUCH praise and...a question

First off praise to this site and all who contribute. I closed the pool(with no pool store assistance) in october and opened it this week thanks to this site and all the while last summer saved money and aggravation by not visiting the pool store. With much anxiety all winter long Im happy to say nothing appears to be royally screwed up from my closing or opening. The only noticeably odd thing(at least to me) was my CYA. When I closed last year it was around 65 then opened it this year to a 110 ! I drained down below the return jets when I closed and havent added any water so just wasnt sure if that was normal. I'm starting my water turnover process now but any thoughts are appreciated. Looking forward to that app!
    32k IG vinyl liner - Titan 48' DE Filter - Hayward 1HP Superpump _ TF100 test kit with speed stir - Pool owner as of 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MUCH praise and...a question

Thanks for the kind words. Nice job taking control of your pool. CYA should diminish 3-5 ppm per month. CYA is only increased a few ways.

Adding dichlor
    Adding trichlor
    Adding stabilizer
    Neighbors sneaking over
    Gremlins

That's all I've got.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed. It does not make sense that the CYA would have risen over the winter if you were not adding it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Measurement error?
    Mark M
    Huntingtown MD
    In-ground, Plaster, 23,000 Gal., Spillover Spa, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Hayward Pro High Rate Sand Filter, Hayward "Gold" Single Speed 2 HP Super-Pump, Raypak Propane Spa Heater, XtremepowerUS Kreepy Krauly Pool Cleaner, Flagstone Coping, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah I'm not sure - I measured it thrice so we'll see once pool is diluted again. Thanks again

6. Back To Top    #6

If you measure before water was mixed for a bit, that might be an issue... what is your water temp?

I would retest after pump has ran for a bit and if the water is cold, let it sit inside to reach room temp then retest outside

Christina
    ~14,000gal 14x30 IG vinyl, Hayward DE4820 filter (everything else is too old to read lol), TF100 Test Kit, TFPC method
    POOL SCHOOL, ABC'S of WATER CHEMISTRY, POOL MATH, SUPPORT TFP!!, TEST KIT!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep I ran the pump for about 6 hours. The first test I did was at 45 degrees. Then after perusing the forums I decided to warm up the other two tests and got the same results. Hope to be checking again by tomorrow night....
    32k IG vinyl liner - Titan 48' DE Filter - Hayward 1HP Superpump _ TF100 test kit with speed stir - Pool owner as of 2014