FC loss in 24hrs

Jun 13, 2008
Port Neches, Tx.
I'm just curious if anyone could give me some average numbers on their FC PPM loss over a day. Preferably some southerners, our pool hits 90 degrees during the day lately with alot of sunshine. I just got done clearing the pool from a dash of algea, I cought it quickly and got on top of it fast. Yesterday I went without the swg during the day for 12hrs to start bringing the FC down and I lost 5ppm, just wondering if this is about right.

5ppm in a days time is pretty far above average, even for your Southern conditions.

I would suggest letting the FC go back down to normal for a day or so and then do another overnite FC loss test.

Remember, only two things consume chlorine.....sunlight and organics (usually algae).

newnick said:
Yes, thats when I stopped the shock.
My #'s this morning.
FC - 16.5
CC - 0
TA - 80
CYA- 65 added some this morning, had a leak up till last week, might still have a smaller one.
Salt - 3100

Losing 5 ppm out of 16 ppm is only about 30% extinction which is about what I see at a CYA of 65 ppm. So I think what you are seeing is reasonable.

A week has gone by now, been running 24/7 and trimming back the swg.
Numbers this morning after shutting down the pump over night.
FC 11.5 Lost .5 overnight
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 80

I've trimmed the swg back to 25 percent through the week running 24/7 easing the FC down. I'd like to go back to 12on/12off to cut back on electicity. If running at 25 percent was working 24on/0 off can I go to 50 percent and run a 12/12 schedule and be close to the same amount of chlorine production?

We had a couple of what I'll call intensely boggy days a couple weeks ago where we were losing 5 to 6 ppm per day.
I guess I'd describe boggy as stale heavy feeling air.

Since then it's been hotter and even more humid some days but loss has been only 2 to 3 ppm over 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on the Gulf Coast and our pool water temperature is 92 F right now. My target FC is 4.0 and I have been losing a constant 1.5 - 2.0 ppm chlorine every 24 hours since March. In fact it's been amazingly constant. The water has stayed clear as clean glass. I have to add about 2 or 3 cups of acid once a month to keep the pH down and I've had to add ten pounds of baking soda to bring the TA up and that's all I've done since late February. I have not even had to backwash the filter since (I believe) the 1st of May.

I run my pump 12 hours per day 7 days per week from 8 am to 8pm. And yes, I have a ton of trees around my pool, live oak, hickory, dog wood, Chinese cotton ball, maple, and a little further away lots of pine. There is also a creek that runs into a swamp just outside my back fence. The pool gets full sun from about 9 am until about 5:30 pm (if I keep the trees trimmed).

stev32k said:
I'm on the Gulf Coast and our pool water temperature is 92 F right now. My target FC is 4.0 and I have been losing a constant 1.5 - 2.0 ppm chlorine every 24 hours since March. In fact it's been amazingly constant. The water has stayed clear as clean glass. I have to add about 2 or 3 cups of acid once a month to keep the pH down and I've had to add ten pounds of baking soda to bring the TA up and that's all I've done since late February. I have not even had to backwash the filter since (I believe) the 1st of May.
Have you considered running your pool at a lower TA level since that may reduce the rate of pH rise letting you use less acid and baking soda? What is your current TA level?

Outside temp has been an average of 95 with a pool temp of 91.
I have been using anywhere from 3.5-7ppm in a 24 hour period lately; it depends on how much the kids swim and how many go swimming.

chem geek said:
stev32k said:
Have you considered running your pool at a lower TA level since that may reduce the rate of pH rise letting you use less acid and baking soda? What is your current TA level?

I maintain the TA between 50 & 90. My last TA test was 80 ppm. I'm pretty sure the pH rise is due to using the cheap wal-mart bleach. That brand has a large excess of sodium hydroxide. I've read (can't remember where) that it can have as much as 20% excess caustic.

stev32k said:
I've read (can't remember where) that it can have as much as 20% excess caustic.
There's no way it's 20%. It could be 2% which would be high and yes, would contribute to rising pH. Clorox Regular unscented has very low "excess lye" in it -- around 0.25% -- so should have minimal pH rise compared to the off-brand bleach you are using. Or course, it's probably more expensive.

chem geek said:

How low would you suggest? I have a very similar situation to stev32k. We are experiencing extreme heat and my pool temp is hovering around 92-93 degrees. My TA is currently at 80 and my PH is rising rapidly. I'm having to add acid every 1-2 days to keep it in check. We've been out of town for a few weeks this summer and I've used Trichlor tabs while away. Other than that I use bleach. What I've noticed is that the acidity of the tabs keeps my PH pretty constant. Also, we have a raised spa which cascades water down into the pool. I think the constant aeration is not helping the situation.

I know there's not a definitive answer on where to set the TA, but if you could give me a best guess target to aim for I'd appreciate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.