Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach

I have to turn off my swg for 2 weeks while I try scale tec to remove scale(described in another thread). instead of using chlorine tabs, I was going to use bleach. is there anything I need to know before I do this? do I just use the Clorox I have in the laundry room? or is that not the correct stuff? I will use the pool math chart on this site for values.
    also, if anyone knows....im using a jandy aquapure swg and its connected to an aqualink control panel. I don't see anywhere to turn the swg "off" as that's part of the directions on the scale tec label. is turning output down to 0% the equivalent to being considered "off"?

thanks in advance
    anthony

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach

Anthony,

Yes, turning the SWCG's output to zero is the same as turning it off...

yes, plain bleach, no scented or splash-less bleach..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for the reply. I went to lowes to pick up bleach. I wanted to get Clorox but they only had splashless so I got an off brand. I have to keep pool at 1.5-2 fc. I will try to keep as close as possible to high end. should I be calculating this as 8.25% or 7.86%? not that it will make a huge difference but I have slight ocd.

thanks
    Anthony

IMG_2007.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

That is 8.25 % bleach.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the stuff you want. The only other thing that matters besides it being just plain old bleach is the "born on" date. Bleach degrades over time so the fresher the better. Not as critical for household (8.25%) bleach but still important. Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks guys.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would warn you that a FC of 1.5-2ppm is too low (really even for a SWG pool).
    What is your CYA?
    Use the FC/CYA Chart and use the non-SWG table while your SWG is out of commission.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would warn you that a FC of 1.5-2ppm is too low (really even for a SWG pool).
    What is your CYA?
    Use the FC/CYA Chart and use the non-SWG table while your SWG is out of commission.
    I know it is. cya is 65-70. the product im using "scale tec" suggest 1.5 -2 chlorine level or the chlorine will render product ineffective. they suggest using algaecide while using product. believe me, I don't feel good about it but I feel worse about the scaling.

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah, understood. Although I put little faith in potions like that
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Ah, understood. Although I put little faith in potions like that
    I hear ya but I don't have a whole lot of choices. figured Id throw $80 at it, and hope for a miracle that relieves me from scrubbing entire filled pool with a pumice stone. with that said, the scale is much better than it was, most likely due to me holding ph 7.0-7.2. just put the scale tec in Saturday morning so hoping that finishes it up.

11. Back To Top    #11

What do y'all prefer using between the box store bleaches vs. the HASA bleach? I see the Clorox 8.3% stuff at Costco going for $8.89 for 3 gallons & the 12.5% HASA stuff for $17.xx for the 4-pack.
    17k gal IG, 3/4 HP Hayward pumps, C3000 cartridge filter, H400ID heater, Polaris 36 Pool Sweep, K-2006 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Use whatever is cheapest for the amount of chlorine that you get. There are a few calculators within the Forum that will do the math for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator