New pool owner w/ test results

Dec 1, 2016
DFW, Texas
Hi all,

New pool owner and just got my Taylor K-2006 kit in the mail and trying to figure it all out.
Previously been using a simple 5 way kit and test strips to keep the pool going with Leslie's 3 Inch Jumbo Tabs, in-line chlorinator.
In-ground 23k pool, currently seeing small signs of yellow algae in pool, but brushing it off and overall water looks good.

FC 5.5 (edited from before)
CC 0 (edited from before)
PH 7.4
TA 110
CH 210
CYA 120 (edited from before)

Thanks for any pointers and where to go from here.

SK,

This is the reason you have algae... With your high CYA level you almost can't put enough chlorine in your pool to prevent algae..

I concur with Analogbytes that you need to run the diluted CYA test..

Not sure of your cost of water, but here in Bedford, a fresh fill in my 17K pool is less than $50..

I say this because I see a drain and refill in your future as it is the only way to fix your high CYA level..

I like your avatar, is that an A10?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Yup, Pool math says 75% replacement for CYA target of 30, 67% for a target of 40, and 58% for a target of 50. With our weather, I wouldn't suggest 30. CYA of 120 will break the bank to try and SLAM

Jimrahbe: I'll try the test again soon. Quickly running out of CYA tester though... I'm backwashing my DE filter later today, so I'll be filling on new water. Will do the test after and see where I'm at.
What about my other values?

Really hard to see, an F-4 maybe?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a guess.

Ok, what would your guess be...?

Jim R.

Looks like we both posted at the same time... :p

You were both right.. an F4E model, has a gun under the nose..

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Jimrahbe: I'll try the test again soon. Quickly running out of CYA tester though... I'm backwashing my DE filter later today, so I'll be filling on new water. Will do the test after and see where I'm at.
What about my other values?

Really hard to see, an F-4 maybe?

All your other numbers look ok to me for now anyway..

The first step is to get your CYA/FC back into sync.

Jim R.

Morning!
Replaced some water, and will be adding more today. Am I wrong doing more of a diluting than pure replacing? but you try to explain to my wife why the most of the water in the pool is gone and needs to be refilled. ;)
CYA seems to be coming down. Is the aim to get down to 40 ?
Should I consider adding some bleach to reach FC 7.3 to keep algie in check per this chart: Chlorine/CYA Chart

Today's readings:

FC 4.5
CC 0
CYA 100
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH did not test

Thanks

The pool is safe for swimming when:
1. The FC (free chlorine) is less than SLAM levels for your CYA measurement.
2. The pH is between 7.2 and 8.
3. You can see to the bottom of the pool (for swimmer safety).

The CYA acts as a "buffer" - it binds with the chlorine to help reduce sun burn off and also to act somewhat as a reserve of chlorine. As a buffer, it makes higher levels of chlorine safe to swim in - it's a ratio.

The pool is safe for swimming when:
1. The FC (free chlorine) is less than SLAM levels for your CYA measurement.
2. The pH is between 7.2 and 8.
3. You can see to the bottom of the pool (for swimmer safety).

The CYA acts as a "buffer" - it binds with the chlorine to help reduce sun burn off and also to act somewhat as a reserve of chlorine. As a buffer, it makes higher levels of chlorine safe to swim in - it's a ratio.

Thanks, great info!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.