Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA under 30 with cold water

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA under 30 with cold water

I just opened my pool in VA so water temp is cold. I have not checked CYA yet, but if it is below 30 do I turn on heater to warm up water and then recheck or add stabilizer? My original plan was to get water right before turning on heater. Thanks in advance
    VTFanatic
    TF-100; 32K gallon plaster pool, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, 1 hp Pentair challenger pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA under 30 with cold water

Do the test. The affect of cold water on the CYA test is largely overblown. It does exist but can be mostly ignored.

Do a CYA test at whatever temperature your pool water is.

Now, take a sample from your pool but take it indoors and warm it roughly to room temp and take the test again. Report your results.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My understanding is that you just need to let your sample of pool water heat up to 70 degrees for the CYA test to be accurate. You don't need to heat the whole pool to 70 degrees.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA at room temp was 90 while taken indoors. Can I do it indoors and get an accurate reading? I struggled with CYA a ton last year as I was using the pucks for the first part of the year until reading that was the cause of the high CYA. I guess I was hoping by draining so much water out for closing the pool that it would have corrected itself. Granted the pool is full given the rain that we've had. How much water do I need to drain?
    VTFanatic
    TF-100; 32K gallon plaster pool, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, 1 hp Pentair challenger pump

5. Back To Top    #5

If your CYA is 90 and the typical targets are 30-50ppm, then you are looking at needing to replace 50% of your water ... assuming you are not running a SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I assume I need to do this before adding any bleach, correct? I just opened the pool so have only been brushing and vacuuming thus far. Thanks.
    VTFanatic

7. Back To Top    #7

No point in adding chemicals if you're just going to drain out the water right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!