Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

Checked FC before coming in for the evening.. still at an 11. I'd 9m understanding the chart right, shock level is 10 for cya 20 or less. I'll be going to get conditioner and muriatic acid tomorrow as early as I can.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This morning, the FC is at a 6, so I added a gallon of bleach, per polymath to bring it to an FC of 10. I'll test to confirm in 15 or so minutes. The water is already clearing up a little... here's a quick progress picture:
6be283fce678ce24544bae04415f3e8b.jpg

Ok.. so I had to get stabilizer today.. went to the area Leslie's Pool Supply...

I took water sample with me to see what their readings would show. Most if it matched... except the FC! They showed only 6ppm, while my last reading was more than 2x that amount... that doesn't exactly matter, as I'm SLAMming, so FC is going to fluctuate. They also showed 0 CYA...

I got their powdered conditioner and a new skimmer, as my current one is quite cracked. Then while at Lowe's, I got a couple of paint filters to use as skimmer socks. Should I work to get CYA to 20ppm?

Rufus, did they do the drop test for the FC? If so it only goes up to 5 :shock: and you do lose some FC reading over time so it could also be that.

I would work on getting the CYA to 20. You might have some CYA in the water but it is almost impossible to test below 20 or so. You do NOT want to overshoot so only shoot for 20 as that will give you some wiggle room if you do have some in there.

Kim:kim:

It's been a wet, rainy day here in Oklahoma! The water still looks like it has gotten better - but that could just be my optimism :)

That said, even though it was a cold, wet experience, I conducted a full run of tests again and got these results:

FC - 13.5
CC - ? (A single drop resulted in the color change described in the YouTube video I was watching. it was on a 10ml sample, so does that make it .5?)
pH - 8+
Acid Demand Test required 2 drops to get to a 7.4
TA - 60
CH - 70
CYA - 0

CC - ? (A single drop resulted in the color change described in the YouTube video I was watching. it was on a 10ml sample, so does that make it .5?)

Yes, CC is recorded as .5 if any color change occurs. However, we treat a CC of .5 the same as 0.

Take pictures daily of your brush or net or something in the water so you will be able to see the change occurring and not having to wonder if your mind is playing tricks on you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know it's not a stain, but not sure if it's dead or alive yuckies. I'm hoping to brush it again today.

Quick question: we think we found where the vacuum hooks up (port on side if poom), but when running to waste, there is no suction. Where does the vacuum hose usually connect?

So, I added 48oz of conditioner that I had picked up at Leslie's Pool Supply yesterday to an old sock and put in the skimmer. After about 2 hours, there did not appear to be a substantial difference between what I started with and what was there. I agitated the sock back and forth in front of some jets and could see the stuff coming out of the sock. I think it would have taken quite a while to get it all to dissolve. After moving agitating in front of the jets for a little while, I did a quick 2 minute backwash and returned it to the skimmer.

The backwash dropped the water level by about 1 1/2 inch... so I put the hose back into the pool to get the water level back to where it needs to be. There is a plumbing vent hole by the pool and when the water level gets too low, I can hear air being added in (and see it in the jets).

A recent check of FC showed it down to 7ppm, so I added another dose of bleach to get it back up where it needs to be. I had brushed the pool this morning, stirring everything up really good, but it seems that everything has settled on the bottom of the pool again, so I think I am going to have to prioritize figuring out the vacuum system. Its only about 50 degrees in Oklahoma, so my 60 degree water is actually warmer than the outside temperature at the moment :)

This evening, I backwashed the filter again and checked the sock - it's almost gone. I expect it will all be gone in the morning. That said, I did not realize that adding CYA would help pH, but it has! Here are the levels from this evening:

FC - 8.5
CC - .5 or 1?
pH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 70
CYA - 30

PoolMath said to add 56oz of bleach to get to 10. I added about 1/3 of a bottle of bleach and came in for the evening. This will continue tomorrow!

Woke up early - before the sun came up... tested FC and it was 10. I did not precisely measure the bleach I added, nor had I tested FC before going to bed, so I can't say for certain that there was no loss. However, I can say there was little loss... i think I may be winning this battle.

So we tried vacuuming to waste, but obviously are missing something... possibly the attachment you referenced... the vacuum hose fit into the skimmer hole.. but I noticed there is one open and one closed hole in the skimmer. Should both be open??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.