Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

Re: Hoping not to drown - new owner of a pool

So, I'm going to be uncovering the pool this weekend to get a good look at it and start cleaning a little... also, I found some test kits in the shed, but I can't tell what kind... If I can figure that out I'll do some basic tests.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's Oklahoma, so cool is relative... I'll snap off pics this evening. I've also ordered a 2006c, but thankfully won't be here until next week.

While I don't have to be in a hurry, I'd like to get an idea if what I'm up against and start fighting the fight now, before I get too far behind...

So there are "guess strips" and a test kit in the shed... the test kit does not have any markings to identify it and it looks pretty old and weathered. There are bottles of hardness indicator, alkalinity, OTO?, and phenol red.. but honestly, I don't know what happened to this thing - it looks terrible.

That said, I think I'll be waiting for my 2006c before doing any testing...
262c656e61d1afc1ee0cd55447c423d7.jpg
f5929a0190f112f094b4a242030001ad.jpg

The blue box looks like it is one of the many kits from Taylor. It's missing the comparator block (for pH & OTO chlorine) and the clear plastic mix tube. Not knowing how long it's been there (expired reagents) and the method of storage (heat), I would agree that it is probably best to wait for your great Taylor 2006c. I would toss those guess strips in the round circular file.

Well, we pulled the cover off today.. the water was pretty green, but most of the gunk was on the walls and floor... we brushed it, which stirred it all up onto a pretty cloudy, green mess...

I am still waiting for my test kit, so no levels to report, but here's my starting point..
d17ce57671378a5d5c2e7f58a1045ca7.jpg
fcb757985b5dd48fc77cc8343a0bfba4.jpg
930eac629d92283f6e1f89772f61e49c.jpg

Good place to start. At least there is nothing growing up and out :shock:

Is equipment up and running? If so add a jug of bleach a day and brush it. That will get you started if you want.

Kim:kim:

Ok. Start by getting all that gunk out with your net or gently with a leaf rake. The more you get out now the less the chlorine will have to digest.

Without knowing your CYA, it's difficult to determine the needed FC level for the SLAM. Add enough FC to get to 10ppm and start there.

Then grab a brush and scrub the bottom & sides. If you have the pump & filter going, don't forget to check/clean your skimmer baskets and check filter pressure and backwash when it rises 25% above clean.

I shouldn't ask this, but is there anyway you can "guess" at the CYA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Nice pool cover!

I have that same sand filter...works great!
It appears you have a single speed pump (I have that motor in 1.5 hp, yours appears to be 1.0)

in your description / signature it reads: Plaster/pebble - painted

I had a pool that was painted by the former owner. Don't be surprised
to see fine paint particles come off when you brush, (plastic will do less harm than a metal brush)
and a possible slight cloud up after several guests at a time have been in.

But it will all filter out of course if you run the pump a few hours after.

On the pump motor label (upper left section of it in the photo) and to the left
where it mounts to the pump body, that copper thing is where the bond wire connects.

Do you see a copper or possibly greenish (from oxidizing) copper wire fastened into it?

It should also connect with the SWG somewhere and heater if you have one. If you don't see one, when you get some free time, look around your
equipment pad for a bare copper wire coming out of the ground...This is your bond wire
and an important item for pool safety.
Ok.. so we were getting ready to start up the pump system and I noticed that bond wire that you referenced on the ground - not connected to anything. I'm not sure it's long enough to reach the original location.. but it's on my list to correct/fix...

We flipped all the switches, but no power showing up on salt panel and pump is doing nothing... so now we are searching to see if we missed something or if the fuses in the fuse box may be bad... ugh..

We flipped all the switches, but no power showing up on salt panel and pump is doing nothing... so now we are searching to see if we missed something or if the fuses in the fuse box may be bad... ugh...

Breakers do occasionally go bad, but this isn't the most likely culprit. More likely it is a breaker in the off position. Is there a breaker in your main house panel that feeds the pool equipment pad? Could there be a sub-panel between the two?

I checked the main breaker, as well as a couple others that are by the equipment. There are some fuses in one of the fuse boxes that I'm going to replace to see if they went out, though I expect that's not likely... I expect there's a switch or breaker somewhere that I haven't found yet..

Well, we replaced the duses, but nothing changed. There is power to the breaker that powers the timer, but the pump and salt water system don't appear to have power... I don't want to have to pay an electrician to come figure this out, but may have too..

Ok.. There are two on/off switches coming from underground - this appears to be the run from the main circuit breaker. Both are currently "on". From there, the lines go to a panel that has 20 amp circuits. If we flip the ones on top to off, the ti.er stops working. Switching the bottom two do not appear to make any difference at this time. From that box, wiring goes to a fusebox with a throw that then connects to the salt water system and filter/pump.

I'm thinking the issue may be in the box with the 20 amp circuits or the fusebox, as those are the two common points between the pump and the salt water system.

I'm not real sure how to check voltage and have a small fear if electrocution, so I'll be doing some research before trying anything
0e54d087f19fb8f19ea451d0b0abe9cf.jpg
870ced7ddb0d984f7c9ee26ef124e356.jpg
d45bfde427b1f8fd2258288fa0c42f61.jpg
eff6f195a235e12d34165db6e477fe4d.jpg
538601d1f747483a7832218356b6c549.jpg
769fe89ca2b5ab633c5b0c8f3988b01b.jpg

We purchased a whole-house warranty when we bought our current home. It covers pool equipment with a $100/repair co-pay. We had a heater thermocouple issue and a pump issue that were both covered. Might be a good idea while you feel out the whole "new pool ownership" thing.

What turns off with the top 2x 20 amp breaker's?

Is the yellow dial in the timer spinning? Have you tried manually flipping the timer handle? (Long one on bottom right).

On the breakers, they are GFI. Push each of those red buttons to test the GFI. The breaker should turn off.

After this the next step would be to pull some covers off and check wiring and voltages. If you're not comfortable with that then you should call an electrician to diagnose it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.