Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing Pool Light gaskets - install dry or ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing Pool Light gaskets - install dry or ?

My replacement light bulbs have arrived for my old Pentair SAM Amerilite lights. I have new gaskets. One of the light leaked and was half full of pool water. I want to be sure it doesn't leak again.

I will install the new gasket around the lens dry, but should I put anything between the rubber gasket face and the metal lip of the light fixture (like a thin coating of pool o-ring lube or silicone) to help the gasket seal - or just install dry as the directions state?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing Pool Light gaskets - install dry or ?

Bump

Any thoughts on this? Replacement light bulbs have arrived. I'll be finishing this project tonight. Should I install the new gasket dry or use something extra to help the sealing?
    Maybe I'm over thinking this.
    20K gal In-ground pool with raised Spa overflowing into pool; two Jandy Sheer Descent waterfalls; Pentair IntelliTouch i7+3, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH, 3 SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, RayPak 406A LP spa heater, Polaris 360 PS Cleaner. Patio and deck lighting by Volt; Volt 600W landscaping transformer; Webber grilling station

3. Back To Top    #3

To update my post - I installed both SAM lights dry. With new Pentair gaskets. The lights where just sitting in the pool (not mounted in niche) to test bulbs. I pulled them out about two days later and both had a little water in them.

So this time I ran a bead of silicone around the housing where the gasket sits (as shown in photo). I hope this works. Putting it together dry with a new gasket didn't work. I tightened the spring clamp according to Pentair's direction.
    Not much else one can do.
    20K gal In-ground pool w/spa; IntelliControl, IntelliChlor, IntelliPH (Acid-Injector), SAM/SAL lights, Pentair FNS60Plus filter, two 1.0 HP WhiperFlow pumps, Jandy/Compool auto-valves, RayPak Heatpump, Jandy Gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I noticed you were all alone on this thread. How did that replacement work out for you?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!