CC Analogy

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
I see a lot of people get almost obsessed with CC data, and often without other data or context. I'm trying to come up with an analogy to help simplify it. After a few failures, I landed on dirt in a vacuum cleaner bag. (now that I type it out, perhaps dirt in a pool filter is better... oh well)

CC is the by-product of another action in your pool, much like dirt in a vacuum cleaner is the by-product of housecleaning. Its presence, or lack thereof means nothing without context.

If you vacuum a dirty carpet for hours, but end up with an empty bag, it doesn't mean your carpet is clean. It means your vacuum isn't working. (much like insufficient FC in your pool)

You could vacuum a carpet and end up with an empty bag, but that doesn't mean your vacuum isn't working. Your carpet could've been clean when you started. (properly chlorinated pool without contaminants)

Conversely, you could run that vacuum and find dirt in the bag. That doesn't mean the carpet is still dirty. It means your vacuum did its job and you're looking at the by-product. (FC has oxidized organics)

Does this resonate?

It sounds like you are trying to make clear that a low or zero CC number doesn't necessarily = good, just as a higher CC number doesn't necessarily = bad

That is what I am taking away from your post at least ;)

No, I'm sorry to say it doesn't resonate with me. :scratch:

Not the smartest guy in the room and there is no argument there, but I'm having difficulty drawing lines between CC and the vac/filter analogy.

Sorry kne, I was away and answered without refreshing the page when I did. Having a higher CC number is never good. Or not ever a desirable thing to see. It means Chlorine has been doing some work, but there is still some, or a lot to go depending on how high the CC number is.

No, I'm sorry to say it doesn't resonate with me. :scratch:

Not the smartest guy in the room and there is no argument there, but I'm having difficulty drawing lines between CC and the vac/filter analogy.

Sorry kne, I was away and answered without refreshing the page when I did. Having a higher CC number is never good. Or not ever a desirable thing to see. It means Chlorine has been doing some work, but there is still some, or a lot to go depending on how high the CC number is.

You might be the smartest guy in the room! I was just looking for a way to put CC in perspective for people, and to show that context is important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.