Magnolia Texas (Houston) Pool Build Thread!!

So a lot has happened since I last updated the thread. I changed the design some to be longer vs. wider so there is a longer swim lane.

There is still a slide it is just not pictured in this design and there is still a sundeck.
rough dimensions now are 20 x 50 with 10' being sundeck

0_zps2zgyfd1p-1.jpg

It's looking good! I'd love to see all your specs in a signature. I think your extra ground supports (not sure what you call them) deserves a mention. That could be very helpful to someone down the road. And, a link to your build. Use my signature or others for an example.

Almost forgot - great call on the design change. I love it will be longer now!

Must be the only equipment they have? I don't see and reason you wouldn't use an excavator?

No, my PB has it all. his main focus right now is commercial as that is the bulk of his business so he has all the equipment. Here in Houston were I am at the soil is soft enough you don't need a excavator. There is no reason to use a excavator and have to "handle the dirt" twice if you don't have to. Meaning the excavator moves it to the side and the skid steer puts the dirt were it needs to go. With the skid steer digging you can just take that bucket of dirt you just dug up and put it exactly were you want it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's looking good! I'd love to see all your specs in a signature. I think your extra ground supports (not sure what you call them) deserves a mention. That could be very helpful to someone down the road. And, a link to your build. Use my signature or others for an example.

Almost forgot - great call on the design change. I love it will be longer now!

Remember my builder focuses a lot on commercial and they build things "overkill" so you know you will never have issues.

From what I know, there were some "minor" worries about my build.

For starters I live on 5 acres and have a creek in the far back of the property. In heavy floods the water will fill up over the creek but never getting close to the house.

Well, we had some SERIOUS 500 year type floods last year and the water rose to levels it has never rose to before. It got within 1 ft. of my current patio.
MY PB lives in my neighborhood, so there are a combination of things. Knowing the water got within 1 ft. of my patio is why he wanted to bring in really solid clay to level the area were the pool would go and let that sit for 1 month before we dig. He wanted to do this to ensure no "flood water" could find its way under my pool. Sort of like building a "berm".

Second, my area, specifically my neighborhood, has been known to have ground water really close to the surface. We didn't hit any ground water during the dig but we still took the "better safe than sorry" approach.
He decided to dig the 8 deep holes in the pool and rebar those holes just incase I ever do get ground water and something tries to settle that my pool is strong enough to withstand.

Lastly, if you look at some of the rebar pictures above you will notice rebar sticking straight up and sort of a upside down J look. The idea behind that is once gunite is shot, and we are ready to pour decking my PB will bend those to set under the newly poured decking. By doing this now that ties my pool to my decking for an extra layer of support.

No, my PB has it all. his main focus right now is commercial as that is the bulk of his business so he has all the equipment. Here in Houston were I am at the soil is soft enough you don't need a excavator. There is no reason to use a excavator and have to "handle the dirt" twice if you don't have to. Meaning the excavator moves it to the side and the skid steer puts the dirt were it needs to go. With the skid steer digging you can just take that bucket of dirt you just dug up and put it exactly were you want it.

I see, here it would take 7 times as long, and that is IF the skid steer could even dig it. Very hard, rocky, clay filled soil

And chances are if the 500 year flood happened just last year, then it won't take another 500 years to happen again. Regardless of the reason, things are warming up which has shown a tendency to change weather patterns. I'm always good with overbuilding as long as it's not cost prohibitive.

So we went to the stone yard yesterday to pick out flagstone for my coping and I fully expected to go with a brown flagstone like a Oklahoma flagstone as I thought it would match my house perfectly.

As I am walking around the yard I saw a flagstone quartzite that looked absolutely amazing. it is grey but has a lot of "rust" colorying and some random reds faded in. It is a rustic looking grey and when I saw it I knew that was the color.

It completely changes how I view the design now. I still below the grey will match my house because I have slate on my cover patio right now and my "river stone" on my house right now has some grey in it. so I think it will tie everything together perfectly.

But it changes the look for sure. originally I figured it would be sort of an Arizona light brown theme, but now with the grey flagstone I think it will turn out to be more of what I am calling a modern rustic since it is grey with rust throughout.

trying to upload to photobucket now so I can upload here for some reason it just takes a while to upload to photobucket for me.

I do have a question. The quartzite has verying widths. 60% are similar widts but there are are some extremes that go from .75" thick to 2" thick.

Is that an issue since they aren't the same width or how is this handled when they install it? will this be something I notice?

Maybe they install the thick pieces that will face the pool since that edge will show, and the thin pieces on the outside toward the cement deck since the cement deck will cover the "thickness" and on this side all you see is the top? is this what they do?

Yeah photobucket has really become bogged down with all of their adds and such. If you want fast and easy you can always become a supporting member (see top of page). You will get a discount on the testing kits and more photo storage.....just a thought.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.