Magnolia Texas (Houston) Pool Build Thread!!

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
My wife and I finally decided on a pool builder and we have just signed our contract. Our Pool Builder actually lives in our neighborhood and it was someone my wife new. He told us from the beginning our rough price would be Cost + 15%.
We interviewed probably 6 builders and ultimately we chose the builder that my wife knew as he had the best design and actually listened to us instead of trying to sale certain products (infloor cleaners..ect...)

Pool Specs:
1) Free Form Pool
2) 112’ Pool Perimeter
3) ~24,000 gallons
4) 28’ x 42’
5) 3.5’ to 7’ deep
6) Chlorine pool **I know most recommend SWG but we like standard chlorine pools better**
7) Spa is 10’ and raised 12” with 6 jets
8) Sundeck -- ~16’ long by 8’ wide

Pool equipment
9) Pentair Sand filter
10) Pentair 400,000 BTU heater
11) Blower for hot tub
12) Auto fill feature
13) Overflow
14) 3 skimmers
15) 4 intelliflo variable speed pumps (I wanted to be able to control each waterfeature separate)
a. 1 for pool/spa
b. 1 for deck jets and bubblers
c. 1 for waterfall
d. 1 for slide à with variable speed I can have a “kid setting” and a “adult setting”
16) I will be using a robot for pool cleaning (this is not included in the price)
17) He is plumbing me for a pressure side cleaner and just going to cap this off at the equipment pad site just incase I ever want to be lazy and go that route.
18) 4 pool drains
19) 1 spa drain
20) Intellitouch automation
21) Screenlogic automation

Tile/decking/plaster
22) Coping – we have travertine included in the price. If we chose something of a lesser quality than travertine we will get a credit
23) Waterline Tile – they included a 6” upgraded tile, if we chose a lesser quality tile we will get a credit
24) Plaster – stonescapes mini pebble – we can chose any color grade we want at no additional charge

Decking
25) 1,520 SF of decking
26) Spray deck – we went this route so we could save money as travertine was quit the jump in price and we chose to spend our “money” in other parts of the pool.
27) Expansion joints, 3/8” steel reinforced, and area drains are included

Water Features
28) Gunite waterfall/slide that will be approximately 16 tons when done
a. Waterfall will span 20 feet
b. Max height of waterfall and height of slide is 50”
29) 3 colorvision globrite bubblers in the sun deck
30) 3 deck jets that spray into the sun deck

Lighting
31) 8 total pool lights
a. 1 in the spa
b. 3 in the bubblers (1 per bubbler)
c. 4 in the pool area

Other Features
32) Outdoor fireplace
33) Wall attached to the fireplace that is roughly 4’ tall for some privacy
34) Electrical ran throughout the wall for lights in the wall and electrical outlets

Drainage
35) Decking drains will be included
36) 6 downspouts can be connected to the drainage system – if I want to add more he said that was fine
37) Drainage will be directed in two directions
a. Direction 1 --> towards the backside of my property going to the ditch (~50’ run)
b. Direction 2 --> towards the street (ditch) that is a slight 2’ uphill slope so a sump pump will be added to help the water get uphill (~150’ run)

i. The reason we are going two directions --> The first direction is the easiest and I want this to be my primary “water unloading” point. However we recently had a 500 year type flood and the water rose in the creek, the water got outside the creek and came within 2 feet of my back patio (this is the worst flood this neighborhood has seen). So to prevent the creek filling up into my yard and water coming up the PVC drain pipes and flooding my pool, we set a “Direction 2” route as a backup. This PVC pipped direction will be slightly higher than direction 1, that way the water will always try to go in the route of direction 1, but in the event of a 500 year flood the water will rise and make its way to direction 2, go through the sump pump and be forced uphill to the ditch that did not flood during the 500 year flood that we recently had.

Dirt Work
38) Pool builder was concerned when we had the 500 year flood that the water came within 2’ of my patio. (he lives in my neighborhood). He doesn’t believe we will ever have a flood this bad again but he believes better to be safe than sorry. He sent my site plan off to his engineers and the consensus was since I have a slope in my yard not to have the pool have a “drop off” because in this scenario water could possibly get under the pool and cause issues.
What he is going to do is dig down and remove all the silt from the area, bring in probably 100 loads of hard clay and compact the site approximately level to my existing patio. He will let that sit for 30 days to let it settle and finish compacting before we begin digging for the pool.
He said doing it this way makes the structure much better in the event we have another serious flood.
He will use the silt that he removed, plus some of the clay that he will dig out when he begins digging the pool, to create a slope off the backside of the deck to make sure the water drains properly to the creek.
So basically were my pool and deck is going, he is building that up to the grade of my house with clay, then sloping it towards the creek for drainage.
This was expensive, I imagine the dirt work will be $10,000, but I agreed with the builder that it needed to be done to ensure the integrity.

This is what my backyard currently looks like

2_zpsmkvplgo7-1.jpg

1_zpspg8nsgyj-1.jpg

5_zpsln2zpzxl-1.jpg

4_zpsaqwx5ecg-1.jpg

3_zpszhmy7gcg-1.jpg

That lot is made for a pool.

The only thing that stands out is there is not size on the filter. VERY important to get as big as you can. The bigger it is the less you will have to clean it.

The steps to the slide look like they are kind of tucked in by the spa. I wonder just how big of an area that will end up being.

I LOVE your idea about the kid and adult sitting for the slide!!! FUN times! Now the jets going to the splash pad???? Do you really want that. I can see MY husband turning them on while I relaxed on the pad...........NOT good! LOL

Kim:kim:

That lot is made for a pool.

The only thing that stands out is there is not size on the filter. VERY important to get as big as you can. The bigger it is the less you will have to clean it.

The steps to the slide look like they are kind of tucked in by the spa. I wonder just how big of an area that will end up being.

I LOVE your idea about the kid and adult sitting for the slide!!! FUN times! Now the jets going to the splash pad???? Do you really want that. I can see MY husband turning them on while I relaxed on the pad...........NOT good! LOL

Wow, this is why you are amazing and why this forum is amazing. I feel like I have reviewed hours and hours of my design to ensure I am not missing anything and here you look at it for two seconds and find some good input!!

1) I thought all sand filters were the same size? (if not sorry for my ignorance)

2) good point on the steps, I will check into this with my PB

3) I do want deck jets as I just think they are neat. but that brings up a good point since I have a pump controlling both the bubblers and the deck jets. what happens if we want to lounge in the sun deck or kids want to play in the sun deck with the bubblers on, but since they are controlled by the same pump if the bubblers are on then the deck jets have to be on right?

Tbis is where outside eyes help. You are too close to it. It is like editing a document. Yours eyes read what you thought you wrote where outside eyes read it word by word and catch things.

Filter size-there are many sizes from tiny to huge. Of course they are priced accordingly:roll: There are also different brands.

Lwts talk brands. In the past if you bought three of the same brand they would do a 3 yr warranty instead of just 1. Something else for you to think about (sorry about that lol).

Deck jets are a neat party trick. They will be fun for the kids but I would not point them on to.
the shelf. Instead point them into the pool.

IF you put valves on each thing- bubblers and jets- you could control them separately that way and run what you want, when you wanted.

;hug: this is fun!!!!

Kom:kim:

I do have a few questions that I would like to get some feedback on

1) the drainage -- I am going to attempt to hook up as many of my downspouts to the drain as possible. The pool builder included 6, but said I could do more. I am trying to prevent the destruction that currently takes place in my flower beds and the puddles that hold water in my yard. My question is, If I include 8 downspouts with the pool drain, is that going to overwhelm the pool drain and cause water to raise on the deck drains? thoughts?

2) Slide Height -- We did not originally have plans for a slide, but we were always going to Gunite the waterfall to help save costs. The gunite crew said they could install a slide for 3-5k so we went ahead and did that. The height of the slide is only 50" (~4 feet) which seems pretty short to me. My pool builder said that is a good height for a slide but I think it will not be a very "fun" slide since the height is so low. The issue is, if I raise it to 5 or 6 feet tall, he will have to make the waterfall bigger as well to make the slide look right. he said if I do that (he would need to get another quote from gunite guy) but his guess is that would raise the price another $8,000 which we do not want to do. He said if I wanted it taller, the only other option is to not make the waterfall/slide as long since it currently sits at 16 feet long. you could go taller if it wasn't longer. But I think that might not look as good as I currently love how the waterfall touches the hot tub. Thoughts?

**We received our HOA approval today, and we are just waiting on our dirt guys to get with our pool builder to schedule a date to bring in the clay**

another question I have..

3) the pool is 3.5' to 7' deep.....the sundeck is roughly 8" in depth....how much of a drop does that make my steps getting into the pool? (my mom has bad ankles so as she gets older I want her to still be able to enjoy the pool

4) should I consider making the tanning ledge instead of a step down to get into the water, should that be a beach entry? --> I don't want to make the sundeck any smaller for lawn chairs and I don't think I have room between the pool and my current patio/garage wall to make the sundeck any bigger for the beach entry....how would this work?

Drainage-how big will the pipes be that will take the water away? Will they ALL tie into ONE end pipe?

-Slide-I LOVE how it looks now so would be hesitant about changing it. I guess you could turn the pump on HIGH to really speed things up! OH and have a deck jet shooting so it hits faces as they come down the slide!

-sundeck and steps-you can have as big of steps as you want. I would try for 6 inch rise for your Mom. You might have to get creative to make them fit. One guy just did a kind of cut out so they did not take up any pool room.

-Beach entries look VERY neat but I have heard they kind of turn into wasted space as they cannot really be used for much. Most are too steep to put a chair or lounge chair on. Think it through. It would really be easy for everyone to get into and out of the pool AND if you can have it sloped just right it could work!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim, I would prefer not to have the beach entry so if you think steps would help my mom.

do you have a link to the pictures of the cut out you are referring to?

do you see the steps in my design? Is that the normal amount of steps for a 8" sundeck and 3.5' deep end?

Okay I went and looked at the design and feel in love all over again! Sighhhhhhh that is SO pretty!

In the over the top shot it looks like there are are two steps after the shelf BUT in the shot from the side of the pool it looks like there is 3 steps after the shelf. Check with your PB and see what he says. Until then I have an idea!!!! You can do "Suz steps"!!!! I will find the picture and share them here! I think it will be the best of both worlds!

Hold a sec. I will be right back...................Okay I am back. Look at post 111.........it has a drawing of the steps. See how they curl around the spa? That way your mom can use the spa as a rail!

Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX - Page 6

Now I am looking for the finished pic of them! See this page post 299. that shows them in real life. There are other pics in her thread if you want to see them at different angles. This was/is an epic thread that was a BLAST to work on.

Another Pool Build in Cypress, TX - Page 15

Let me know what you think!

Ok I have the full list of equipment.

What is everyones thoughts?

**please ignore the zodiac chlorine feeder as I know that's not recommended. I will do liquid chlorine manually but want the feeder for my long work trips I feel more comfortable with that then a stenner pump since ive had good success with chlorine feeders**

Specific questions
1) on the sand filter, I cant find the TR-100 on pentairs website. why is that?
2) what is the difference between intellitouch i9 vs. i10 that I see people using on here?
3) why cant I see intellitouch i9 on pentairs website?
4) my builder plans to use all globrites as he loves them right now. I know they are smaller, will they fill my big pool with light? 4 for pool. he might increase that to 5

1 Pentair Variable Speed Intelliflow (Filtration)
1 Pentair Variable Speed Intelliflow (Waterfall)
1 Pentair Variable Speed Intelliflow (Slide)
1 Pentair Variable Speed Intelliflow (Bubblers/Deck Jets)
1 Pentair TR-100 High Rate Sand Filter and Media
1 Pentair Push Pull Backwash Plunger Assembly
1 Pentair Intellitouch i9 Controller 1 Pentair Load Center For Intellitouch
1 Pentair Screenlogic Bundle
4 Pentair CVA24T Actuators 2 Pentair 2x2.5” Check Valves
7 Pentair 2x2.5” One Way Valves
1 Pentair 2x2.5’ Three Way Valve
1 Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater (New Black Version)
8 Pentair Globrite Intellibrite Lights (3 Bubblers, 4 Pool Walls, 1 Spa Wall)
2 Pentair Landscape Color Lights (For Waterfall)
5 Pentair Gunite Globrite Niche’s
1 Air Supply Silencer Pool Blower 1.5HP
6 Waterway Spa Wall Packs
3 Pentair Color Vision Niche’s
1 Pentair 300 Watt Transformer
3 Pentair Tan U3 Skimmer Assemblies
1 CMP Tan Water Leveler (Large Size)
15 CMP Clear Wall Fitting
15 CMP ½” Grey Wall Jets
2 Waterway 8” Drain Buckets
2 Waterway 8” Grey Drain Covers VGBA
2 Waterway 32” Channel Drain Grey With Covers VGBA
1 Zodiac Fusion Nature2 Erosion Feeder

So I have been looking around trying to decide what style coping/tile I want to go with. I was wanting something that would look well with my house as I have large round stone/river rock beams on my house so I wanted to make sure the pool design goes well with the house.

What is everyones thoughts on making the tile/coping out of formed boulders?

I am having my slide and waterfall shot out of gunite and made that way, why not continue that look for the tile/coping?

Look at this thread for an example.

New Pool Build - Katy, TX - Page 10

**Cost wise, would this be way more expensive than a travertine coping?**

If you look at page 2, post 38 you will see how they did the "stone" coping. It is made from the gunite! I don't know about costs but I would think the cost would be in the labor instead of the material. It DOES look neat! I would be printing out those pics of how they did it and asking around to see who would/could do it!

So I just asked my builder about it and he does make a valid point. He said in 4-5 years that I will end up with a ring all around the pool due to calcium build up. He said that's why most people go with a shiny tile is that tile is much easier to clean that calcium build up.

he said they could definitely build that for me, but he just wanted me to be aware of possible future issues if I didn't sty on top of cleaning the calcium line all the time.

so I probably won't go this route, we are thinking of ideas on how to make a neat look like that though

he has an idea to put natural stone builders around the pool in certain places to get a look close to that. I have a hard time visualizing that so I'm going to try to find some pictures on google.

Definitely find your own pictures of accent boulders that you like to show him. If he says he has something else in mind, tell him to show you sample pictures of what he's thinking - or take you to real pools where he's done it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.