Mustard algae? pollen? at wits end...help please!

My wife ended up taking a sample of the 'dust' into our local pool supply :shock: and the person there told her it was mustard algae and proceeded to load her up with a bunch of stuff to get rid of it :x I told her just to take it back and that it couldn't be mustard algae due to the fact that the pool is not losing that much FC.

As a matter of fact (from an earlier post) it lost no FC overnight and when I checked it this morning it has lost about 1.5 ppm in the last 2 days.

From the research I have done on this forum I don't think it's mustard algae since it doesn't lose FC or not much anyways?

I am unable to contact the PB to see what he thinks :grrrr: but I don't think he would be much help based on some prior 'issues' we have had.

My question is: Could it be mustard algae and not be using much FC? or could the low TA, PH affect the reading on the FC or bind it up?

Still stumped :hammer:

thanks.
...Eric

Strange discovery?

I am in the process of raising the levels of the pool that are on the low side PH, TA and CH.

In the meantime I had scooped up some of the 'dust' in a jar about 4 days ago and have kept it is the shade to see if it multiplies or not. So far I haven't seen any changes.

This morning I re-checked all my test #s and they are coming up slowly...

I decided to pour some 12% liquid chlorine into the jar to see what the effects were. The jar is a mason style jar that is filled about 3/4 of the way (approx. 24 ounces or so). I added about 2 ounces of the 12 % chlorine and swirled it around.

Then I grabbed my test kit (figuring the FC levels would be off the chart) and poured in 10ml into my test kit (Taylor 2006). When I put in the scoop of powder (R-0870) expecting to see vibrant red...there were some hints of red/pink and than it went clear right away?

I added a little more chlorine which should be ultra high ppm and tried another sample...same results it is clear without adding any drops of the R-0871 at all :eek:

Just for grins I added 5 drops of the R-0003 and got a burnt Orange coloring...I didn't bother to add any drops of the R-0871 to the Orange coloring figuring it is due to the ultra high ratio ???

I am surprised that the sample water in the jar read 0 FC or is it only readable to a certain level?

Here are test #s from this morning (from the pool)

FC = 6
CC = 0
PH = 7.4 (was 7.2) the PH tends to creep up constantly maybe due to the style of the pool?
TA = 50 (was 40)
CH = 210 (was 190)
CYA = 60

thanks.
...Eric

The FAS-DPD test can have problems with extremely high FC level, which can show up as if they were zero. This doesn't normally come up, since the levels have to be really really high before there is an issue, but you can continue adding scoops of R-0870 powder until the sample turns pink and then do the test.

The OTO test, drops turn the sample various shades of yellow, is much more reliable at indicating the presence of chlorine. The dark orange/red color means the TC level is really high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom,
thank you for your quick responses!

I am going to get some baking soda today.

I figured if a little chlorine was good, a lot would be better :)

If the chlorine level is really high (in the sample jar) and if it is algae, will the algae disappear or would it need filtering also (which I can't since it is in a jar)?

thanks again.
...Eric

JasonLion,
Thank you also for your responses!
I am going to keep plugging along on this thing.

I was able to get a hold of the PB and he says unless the acid (to keep the PH in check) is used excessively, that the plaster/pigment/stain isn't causing the dust- his opinion. He may come out to see it (who knows when though) :hammer:

...Eric

Well last night I added in some baking soda (144 oz based on the pool calculator) and let the filter run overnight to distribute it throughout the pool. (I have had low TA and PH #'s)

This morning the TA came up to 80
and the PH was 7.6 :-D

I am going today to find the calcium chloride to raise the CH level.

I am hoping to get the CH up to the correct range than try to vacuum the pool a few times while hopefully maintaining the correct levels.

I will try another overnight FC check to see if there is any difference in the usage of the FC or CC.

Main question for today is finding the calcium chloride (other than going to a pool store) because according to the pool calculator I need about 180 oz.

Any ideas on where to find it: Home Depot? hardware store? Wal Mart?

Also (I think I know the answer to this) but a friend of mine gave me a bottle of 'Swimtrine Plus' algecide for yellow/mustard algae, to try to see if it helps with the 'dust'. Good idea or not?

Thanks.
...Eric

Swimtrine Plus contains copper, do not use it.

Calcium chloride is available in some areas as an ice melter, though often it is out of stock in the summer. You can order it on the Internet, though shipping can get expensive. DowFlake and Tetra are two common brands.

I was unable to find the calcium chloride anywhere due to the time of year. So I ended up getting a 15 pound jug of 'Balance Pak 300' at a pool supply.

My question is which category does this fall under :
Calcium chloride or
Calcium chloride dihydrate?

The reason I ask is that I noticed there is a difference in the amount required to raise ppm in the pool calculator between these two.

Thanks.
...Eric

Not necessarily. The GLB Calcium Hardness Increaser I use is Calcium Chloride (anhydrous).

The way you can tell is by looking at the ingredients. If it says "Calcium Chloride" and is nearly 100% (i.e. 90+%), then that's the anhydrous version. If it either says "Calcium Chloride Dihydrate" at nearly 100% OR if it lists two ingredients with "Calcium Chloride" at around 75% and either "Water" or "Other" at around 25%, then that is the dihydrate version.

chem geek,
Thank you for your answer!

I added in 9 lbs. of baking soda last night and this morning I noticed an increased clarity in the pool. I didn't know for sure if it was hopeful thinking or if it was clearer? Later today my wife called me and said she noticed that is was way clearer and even my kids noticed :-D

I still have the 'dust' problem but by adding the baking soda it made a big difference in clearness and I had kind of forgotten how clear it should be.

I added the calcium chloride tonight, and left the filter running...I will check the CH in the morning and see how much it brought it up.

Question: I checked the FC before I put in the calcium chloride to do a FC overnight test, will the large amount (15 lbs) of the calcium chloride affect the FC reading?

I had a FC of 5.5 this evening, it was around 8 ppm this morning, so I will see how it does, and/or do another overnight test in a day or two if the calcium chloride affects the FC tonight.

Hopefully i'm on the right track :?

...Eric

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.