Slow Weep Delaying Plaster

Jul 5, 2016
DFW
Gunite was done end of February and everything else is finished except plaster. The weep hole continues to have a small amount of water coming out (leaves about an inch of water in the bottom of pool every couple days) and we were told that needs to stop before plaster can be done. Neighbor had the same issue but much more water in an 8' deep pool (about a foot a day). His builder told him if they decided against the Diamond Brite and opted for a pebble finish, it shouldn't be an issue.

My question is, with such a small amount of water coming out, is it OK to plaster (we were also looking at Diamond Brite), or is that asking for problems down the road?

j,

Since you bumped it, I'll tell you what you don't want to hear... :snorkle:

I had the same basic problem due to ground water. The plaster guy refused to plaster as long as it was weeping. My pool builder tried every trick up his sleeve but was unable to stop the weeping.

In the end, he had to jackhammer up two side of the deck, dig down and install a French drain about 6' deep and 50 feet long. In the corner of the pool he installed a 8' deep well with a sump pump that runs 24/7 sucking water out of the ground.

I can hear the water trickling into the "well" in the middle of summer when everything else is dry as a bone...

That did the trick and allowed the plaster to be applied.

Took about four months for the fiasco to get done.

That's what you get for bumping your own thread.. :cool:

Jim R.

That's exactly why I bumped my own thread. To get an answer, regardless if it's good or bad. The good news is, I have a 16' deep bore well about 20 feet from the pool. It has about ten feet of water in it so we are going to start pumping it out. One of my other questions was whether or not a pebble finish would be a solution. According to a PM and another site, seems like it would. Thanks for the reply.

J,

I was told that any finish would work because after the pool has water in it, the pressure of the pool water would offset the pressure of the ground water. Sounds reasonable, but I have no idea if it is true.

My pool has pebble sheen finish and I can't see any evidence of ground water intrusion, but I also have that French drain that is running 24/7.

I was just giving you a hard time :poke: about bumping your own thread, nothing to worry about.

I generally don't tell that story, because most weeping problems are quickly fixed by the pool builder.

Good Luck with your build,

Jim R.

We've got quite a few seeps on our property that produce a little water continuously. The only time they stopped running was after that 2 or 3 year drought we had 5 or 6 years ago. Luckily, we know where they are and have enough room to place the pool away from them. It is pretty interesting because we are nearly at the top of the hill and a couple of the spots almost at the top of the hill. So, how they have water year round is kind of a mystery. I think maybe the caliche rock we have underground must hold a lot of water and slowly release it.

Hey @jmoore312 - Sorry to drag up such an OLD thread but I would love to know how this all was resolved. I have a small pool - waiting on plaster - small amount of weeping and planning on using Diamond Brite. so I would love to know how your all turned out and what the 4 years later have been like on your plaster. THANK YOU!

Hey @jmoore312 - Sorry to drag up such an OLD thread but I would love to know how this all was resolved. I have a small pool - waiting on plaster - small amount of weeping and planning on using Diamond Brite. so I would love to know how your all turned out and what the 4 years later have been like on your plaster. THANK YOU!

@jmoore312 was last seen here on August 23, 2017. I would not wait for his reply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.