DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I found my pool with a whole bunch of dark debris in the bottom, quite a bit of which is now smeared into the plaster. How would I know if it was duck poop? The only other thing I can think of would be some punk kids throwing dirt/mud over the wall into the pool. So my questions are...
1) how do I know if it is duck poop?
2) how do I remove the smears off the plaster? It looks awful, and brushing isn't helping.
3) I'm assuming I need to SLAM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I found my pool with a whole bunch of dark debris in the bottom, quite a bit of which is now smeared into the plaster. How would I know if it was duck poop? The only other thing I can think of would be some punk kids throwing dirt/mud over the wall into the pool. So my questions are...
1) how do I know if it is duck poop?
2) how do I remove the smears off the plaster? It looks awful, and brushing isn't helping.
3) I'm assuming I need to SLAM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1) Duck poop looks dark greenish to an almost black tint..

2)I cannot help you there.. I have a vinyl liner..someone will come along shortly and answer that.

3)This has happened to me often.. and I always like to SLAM after just to be sure..

I had what I thought was raccoon poop in my pool last year. I was able to brush the stuff off and it was filtered out. I did however raise my chlorine up to the SLAM level for a couple of days and cleaned my cartridge filter. I googled "raccoon poop in pool" and was able to find pictures that helped me identify the material. I also know that we have raccoons in the area and there was a bunch of water around my pool steps so this led me to believe it was raccoons. I would think that if what you had was duck poop that it would eventually soften and you would be able to brush it away. I would definitely raise your chlorine level just to be safe.

Just a couple of the spots.

This was the only spot on the coping. Everything else was in the bottom of the pool.

I will post a new picture of the stuff that is still stuck to the plaster when I get home.

That's quite a bit of whatever it is. Do you have ducks close to where you live? Is the material dissolving at all? When it comes down to it, it might not matter so much what it is, I think I would still treat it as some kind of animal poop. Get as much out of the pool as you can, run the filter for at least 24 hours and increase the chlorine level for a couple days.

There's only one way to be sure...

tumblr_layzipFhGq1qdoxxuo1_1280.jpg

This happens to me most of the swim season. As pooldv says, raising FC and brushing will help. I've learned to live with it. It fades away in a couple of weeks.

In my case it's frog poop. I've gone out in the middle of the night, turned on the light and interrupted their party on a few occasions.

I ignore it now. I used to scoop them out, but I have figured the little buggers can get out on their own. The only thing I scoop out now are the small snakes that wander in at times....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any grackles near you? Mid size black bird? Grackles remove all waste from their nests to avoid predation. These European birds that were imported to help with pests in farms grew up on cliffs near.....Yep, water. So they follow instincts and drop it in pools. Gross.

Any grackles near you? Mid size black bird? Grackles remove all waste from their nests to avoid predation. These European birds that were imported to help with pests in farms grew up on cliffs near.....Yep, water. So they follow instincts and drop it in pools. Gross.

Definitely could be grackles. The store parking lots here are overrun with them. I will have to keep an eye out for that.

That is grackle poop. It is nesting time right now. Search grackles in the forum for possible fixes. I am using an inflatable alligator this season and so far they are going and doing their business in the neighbors pool. It will go on for another month.

Grackles definitely make more sense. This is our first spring with a pool, so this was a first for me. I raised the FC to shock level and I will keep brushing at the stains that were smeared. I will probably go buy myself an alligator, lol. Thanks for the help in figuring this out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.