Actuator solar valve quit functioning...

clg82

Jun 25, 2013
Hello everyone I have the pentair automation system on my pool with a Hayward actuator valve on my solar heater. Up until recently the valve used to move into the on position with the schedule I have it set for. I noticed the other day that that actuator quit working with the schedule I have set and I didn't change anything. I can use the switch on the bottom to manually open and close the valve but it doesn't move on it's own with the schedule anymore...could the valve actuator be going bad? If so why am I still able to move the valve manually with the switch? Thanks for any help!

Re: Actuator solar valve quit functioning...

If the switch moves the valve, it is getting power and is functional. Would point to a programming problem or problem with the controller.

Solar heat is available.....set point is 85 degrees.....pool temperature is 73 degrees....and I am unsure what you mean by "solar temp"......as I stated in my first post everything was functioning as it should....until a couple of days ago.....with NO schedule or setting changes now all of a sudden it won't switch to solar thru the Pentair automation system anymore...........

- - - Updated - - -

If the switch moves the valve, it is getting power and is functional. Would point to a programming problem or problem with the controller.

As stated in the first post nothing has changed in the programming........it was fully functional up until a couple of days ago.......hopefully the controller "Pentair easytouch 8" isn't already bad I just had it installed less than 2 months ago.

Solar temp is the temp reading for the sensor mounted up by the panels. Sounds like there might be some damage to the wire going from the Easytouch to the actuator.

There is a thermometer to measure the temp available at the solar panels. If that is less than the pool water temp, then it will not turn on. Maybe that sensor is messed up?

There is a thermometer to measure the temp available at the solar panels. If that is less than the pool water temp, then it will not turn on. Maybe that sensor is messed up?

is the sensor on the solar connected to the Pentair easytouch 8? or is the easytouch getting the water temperature from somewhere else? I ask because I am unfamiliar with how the easy touch gets the temperature from the pool to begin with...

- - - Updated - - -

Solar temp is the temp reading for the sensor mounted up by the panels. Sounds like there might be some damage to the wire going from the Easytouch to the actuator.

any idea what the sensor mounted up by the panels looks like? I am not really familiar with solar heating.......I will take a look at the wire going from the easy touch to the actuator to verify there is no damage there......

There should be a sensor that is installed through a hole drilled in one of the PVC pipes that gives you your pool water temperature and there would be a similar sensor that should be run up and sitting near the solar panels.

There should be a sensor that is installed through a hole drilled in one of the PVC pipes that gives you your pool water temperature and there would be a similar sensor that should be run up and sitting near the solar panels.

Thanks jblizzle, if it helps any the panel is still showing the current pool temperature on the Pentair control panel

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok now I know that when they did the new Pentair easytouch they didn't replace the temp sensors near the solar.....I will take a look at those this weekend....it's just weird how it used to work up until a couple of days ago and now nothing....are we pinpointing that the solar temperature sensor may be bad?

Scroll through the menu to see what it says the solar temp is. If it is higher than the pool temp and the pool temp is below the setpoint then the valve should open.

Scroll through the menu to see what it says the solar temp is. If it is higher than the pool temp and the pool temp is below the setpoint then the valve should open.

Solar temp is set to 85 degrees. Pool measure 73 degrees. I do not see anywhere where a temp sensor is drilled into a pipe for water temperature. I do see a wire going up the backside of the solar pipe on the side of the house that I'm assuming is the temp sensor for the water in the solar. Is this where the easytouch is pulling the current temperature from?

Target temp is set to 85. Solar temp is the temp on the sensor up on at the panels, this is how the easytouch knows that solar temp is above the water temp and opens the valve. The solar temp sensor is not drilled into the plumbing, it is installed on the roof near the panels. There should is a water temp sensor drilled into the plumbing somewhere on the equipment pad, usually after the filter.

Target temp is the temp that solar is trying to heat the water temp up to
Water temp is the temp of the water
Solar temp is the temp of the solar panels

Target temp is set to 85. Solar temp is the temp on the sensor up on at the panels, this is how the easytouch knows that solar temp is above the water temp and opens the valve. The solar temp sensor is not drilled into the plumbing, it is installed on the roof near the panels. There should is a water temp sensor drilled into the plumbing somewhere on the equipment pad, usually after the filter.

Now i'm thoroughly confused lol......so what is the screenlogic app setting the temperature too when I adjust it for solar heating on the pool? is it reading off of the temperature that the sensor is saying on the roof? I will double check to see if I can see the other temp sensor near the filter...

- - - Updated - - -

so after reading it a couple of times...are you trying to say that if the sensor on the roof isn't reading correctly it (screenlogic) won't open up the valve correct?

Now i'm thoroughly confused lol......

Perfect! That is the primary objective. :)

so what is the screenlogic app setting the temperature too when I adjust it for solar heating on the pool? is it reading off of the temperature that the sensor is saying on the roof?

Here is how Pentair solar control works:
It reads water temp at the equipment pad
It reads solar temp at the panels
It looks at your target temp (85)

If your water temp is below the solar temp and the target the temp then it opens the valve for solar heat.
Said another way: if the solar temp is higher than the water temp and the water temp is lower than the target temp then it opens the solar valve to heat.

The solar valve won't open if any of the following conditions exist
Solar temp is lower than water temp
Water temp is higher than target temp (85)

so after reading it a couple of times...are you trying to say that if the sensor on the roof isn't reading correctly it (screenlogic) won't open up the valve correct?
No, I want to know what screenlogic/Easytouch says the solar temp is so we can determine if that is the problem.

Perfect! That is the primary objective. :)

Here is how Pentair solar control works:
It reads water temp at the equipment pad
It reads solar temp at the panels
It looks at your target temp (85)

If your water temp is below the solar temp and the target the temp then it opens the valve for solar heat.
Said another way: if the solar temp is higher than the water temp and the water temp is lower than the target temp then it opens the solar valve to heat.

The solar valve won't open if any of the following conditions exist
Solar temp is lower than water temp
Water temp is higher than target temp (85)

No, I want to know what screenlogic/Easytouch says the solar temp is so we can determine if that is the problem.

this may be my issue.....it has been relatively colder out during the afternoon than it was when I first changed the schedule.....so if the solar temperature isn't hotter than the pool temperature the valve won't turn on? and adjusting the "target temp" won't change anything correct? any idea in what menu I can check to see what the "solar temp" is on the Pentair control panel near the pool pad?

so if the solar temperature isn't hotter than the pool temperature the valve won't turn on?
Right. It isn't 100% temp based, sun/solar gain is also a factor since the temp sensor on the roof is black. So, your pool might be 80 and it might be 76 outside but the solar temp could be 85.

adjusting the "target temp" won't change anything correct?
Right again. :) The target temp is the temp that solar will turn off (close the valve). So, if target temp is 85 then once the water temp gets to 85 it will close the valve.

I am not familiar with the easytouch menu to get to the solar temp. On my Solartouch when I push the enter button it scrolls from water temp to solar temp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.