New pool owner, test results, sanity check

Apr 25, 2017
Greensboro, NC
Hello all,

I'm new to this pool thing; just purchased a house a few months ago that has a pool. According to the previous owner it is approximately 22,000 gallons. I'm going to verify that with the pool contractor who originally installed it in 2006/2007 but in the meantime let's go with that number. You can see the rest of my info/equipment in my signature (as requested). The pool itself is mostly rectangular and doesn't get much afternoon sun; it seems to be shaded by some trees.

I believe I've read all your literature -- very informative, thanks!

Here's what I'm seeing:
Pool is mostly bluish, slightly murky although I can see the outline of what looks like dirt on the bottom in the 8ft-deep area when I have the light on at night, so it isn't disgustingly awful. Definitely not crystal clear but not anywhere near pea soup either.

I've brushed the pollen ring off the sides and skimmed most of the floating crud from the surface. It had a safety cover on it that I removed a few days ago and I've had the pump running almost continuously since then to help clear out any grunge that i missed. It's been pouring rain for the past few days with highs in the mid-50s but it (should) be in the 70s/80s for the foreseeable future.

Test results, assuming I did everything correctly (I used a TF-100 testing kit + Speed Stir for all tests):

• FC: 0 (verified by both the FAS-DPD test and the OTO test) -- OTO test and FAS-DPD tests were both completely clear.
  • pH: ~7.5
  • TA: ~120
  • CH: 225
  • CYA: 0 (liquid in cylinder was completely crystal clear even filling it up to the top, I could still plainly see the black dot).

Looking over the Pool Math website, if I want to SLAM it to start off the season on the right foot, I'll need to add 117oz of stabilizer to bring my CYA up to 40 and then 391oz of 8.25% chlorine bleach to get a FC of 12.

All the other numbers seem to be adequate (maybe a bit high on the TA?), is that accurate?

The previous owner had a pool guy that I met up with before I bought the house. Nice guy but I'd like to do all this myself if possible. Also, the previous homeowners left me with a bunch of chemicals in my basement, which I apparently won't use/need if I go the TFP route: (3) 1lbs containers of oxidizing shock, (1) 16lb container of 3" chlorinating tablets, (1) container of liquid pH Down, (1) container of liquid water clarifier plus, (1) container of liquid algicide 50%, (1) 25lb bucket of 3" chlorinating tablets, (1) 25lb bucket of calcium plus, (1) 25lb bucket of alkalinity up, and (1) 25lb bucket of pH plus. I'd hate to throw all that out, but...after reading, TFP seems to make the most sense.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

I follow the TFP method and have very few problems with my pool now ( I do maintain my pool year-round ) that being said when I started following TFP I started fresh I drained most the water out of the pool and refilled it, my thoughts on that a lot of those chemicals stay in the pool I guess over time the will dilute out. As for the cost in my area the average cost to fill a 20,000gal pool is about $37. (3 years ago) In my search the average cost of water is $2 for 1000gal . I know it's not the preferred method and there is a chance the pool could pop out of the ground (ground water) but I just wanted control of my pool like it was new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.