New to DIY pool care weird TA color change

Hi everyone, new here but have been lurking and gathering all this wonder info for about 2.5 weeks now. Attended all the pool school topics and searched as much as I can. After a 1.5 years of owning and pool and hating my pool company I finally bought a Taylor 2006 and started testing my pool thanks to this forum what a resource!! My pool company relied on pucks and so of course my pool had to be drained by 50% because I had 100-105 CYA (I diluted to confirm this number). So since draining part of my pool and filling again I have been monitoring my pool chems. The TA went up from 70-110 since draining, I also had to add Calcium Chloride to bring the CH up from 180 to 250. Anyway, each time I test TA it goes from green to clear to pink (drop 10 clear, to 11 light pink, 12 pink) so is my TA 100, 110, or 120? My PH does drift up and the Pool Math numbers I use to lower the PH seems to drop the PH but not quite as much as I thought along with not touching TA. Is that result maybe indicating I have too high of TA? I have read on here not to worry about TA unless Im having trouble controlling PH. All other Chems seem to change the pool by the predicted amounts. I suppose I could drop the PH to 7.0-7.2 and aerate as I have a water fall. Thoughts? Pool is 12,000 gallon plaster in ground. Thanks Bret

Current results

FC 4.5 (was going to add chlorine tonight to bring it up to 6 for my current CYA)
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 110 ish?
CH 250
CYA 45-50
CSI 0.0

Yeah, based on your experiences and test results, I would lower TA down to around 70. That should stabilize your pH noticeably.

I can't answer your TA test anomaly.....it doesn't make sense. Ignore it for now and take your middle result when you test.

Welcome to TFP!

The clear is actually a really really light shade of blue if you look closely. What you do is once the sample starts turning pink you keep adding drops until you add a drop and see absolutely no color change and then disregard that last drop. So by your description I would say your TA is at least 120 and possibly a bit higher.

Thanks for all the replies. Donaldson was right I held the "clear" result to a white backlight that I use to judge the PH and saw that its a very light green. When I add one additional drop I get a light pink and one more to pink the next drop doesn't seem to do anything. So today I get a TA of 130. The PH has risen again over the last two days from 7.5 to 7.7 so I will drop it to 7.0-7.2 and aerate. Thank again for the help. Hopefully aeration won't take too long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.