Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Considering switching from a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Considering switching from a sand filter

Any recommendations between cartridge vs DE? Or is it simply how a cost decision? Thanks in advance.
    VTFanatic
    TF-100; 32K gallon plaster pool, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 sq. ft Cartridge Filter, 1 hp Pentair challenger pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Considering switching from a sand filter

I would stay with sand, why do you want to switch? Both cartridge and DE are more work. I have a cartridge filter and if I ever get another filter I'll switch to sand. No DE for me, too much mess and too much work.

Here is a comparison
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

And here is a discussion on cleaning them
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Love my SF for the reasons Danny mentions. You can always add DE to your SF for a little extra filtering. But if you are set on moving, nothing filters better than DE. I wouldn't consider a cart system on pool for love nor money.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I was all set to do the same thing a year ago until I got some wisdom from this site. I didnt realize water clarity was about chemical balance. As soon as I got my water balanced properly like this site recommends my pool cleared right up. Just add DE to your sand and you'll be amazed how great it works. So then you have the ease of a sand filter with the added benefit of DE. Cleaning those cartridges looks like a pita but i do like the idea of not flooding my yard with all the backwash water. My brother in law has one on his new pool so maybe I'll be convinced to switch one day depending how hard it is to clean and maintain. You'd definitely want a large cartridge so you dont have to clean that often is what I've read. Havent even thought of the replacement cost though...
    32,000 Plaster Pool
    SWG Hayword Swimpure, chlorine feeder, Triton II 140c sand filter, Filter motor - 2HP VSP
    Decent - 1/2HP motor
    Cannon Jets under diving board - 2HP
    Cleaner Polaris 280 - 3/4HP motor

5. Back To Top    #5

I've used both DE and cartridge styles but both of my pools now have sand filters filled with cheap Quickrete Pool Sand from Home Depot.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Cartridge isn't bad until it comes time to clean them. I usually set aside a half day when I clean mine. This time it took over 5 hours due to these little pea sized shells from one of the trees in the back forest. I swear I 'cleaned' them 4 times before I got all those things out of there!!! (tried power washer on low and that didn't work very good)
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir