Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid Washing Gunite Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Washing Gunite Pool

All,

I had a pool inspection today. Inspector recommended acid washing gunite pool. Is this something I can DIY or should I pay the pool company to do it?

He quoted around $1k.

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid Washing Gunite Pool

You can do it yourself for much cheaper. I recently did mine cause the CYA was at 200 and the CH was over 1000. I figured that since I was fixing those problems with a drain and fill, why not acid wash as well while I'm at it.

I went through about 3 cases of Muriatic acid (6 gallons). I poured the acid into a watering can along with water. I uses a 60/40 or 70/30 acid to water mixture cause my pool walls were really filthy.

Other tools you might need would be some long rubber gloves, a brush to brush the acid after you pour it from the watering can, maybe some Bio-Dex to cut the fumes from the acid and some rubber boots. You probably want to get a bottle or two of ph up to neutralize all the acid that will accumulate in the deep end as you wash it down. Almost forgot, you also need some type of pump to keep in the deep end to get rid of the dirty water and acid, as well as to drain your pool to begin with.

I just watched some You tube videos to see how people were doing it and went at it from there.
    Pool size: 20,000 Gallon Plaster Pool, Pump: Hayward Tristar VS SP3202VSP, Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320
    Polaris 280 Pressure side cleaner, Solar cover, Pentair Amerilite LED pool light, Taylor K-2006C test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Why did they recommend acid washing the pool? Is there scale build up? Most pools do not need to be acid washed and that should be considered a last resort.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I think there is some calcium / scale build up on the pool. It looks dirty but I really know nothing about it!! Will it damage the pool? The pool is gunite and light blue diamond brite. Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

An acid wash removes plaster from the surface and shortens the life of the plaster. The best thing to do would be to clean up the pool following this process, SLAM. That will take care of the dirty part. And then see where you are. There are several options for dealing with scale but first we just need to see where you are.

Here is the short version, SLAM
    And here is the long version, Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, pooldv! I was thinking a drain and refill. Would you recommend just removing cover, debris, and doing a SLAM? It would definitely save me some $$$.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, get a good leaf rake and scoop out as much junk as you can and start a SLAM. Draining won't buy you much and isn't worth the risk and hassle.
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Pooldv--just out of curiousity what are the risks of draining?

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm not pooldv, but one risk where I live is the pool popping out of the ground due to a high water table. During my whole pool remodel, we had two feet of water in the deep end when the drainage pump wasn't running.

Quote Originally Posted by reinnov8r View Post
    Pooldv--just out of curiousity what are the risks of draining?
    15K Gal Gunite Pool, White Pebble Surface (unkown), Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump, SunTouch automation, sta-rite plm100 filter, Hayward AquaRite AQR-15 SWG.

10. Back To Top    #10

Pool plaster is supppsed to remain wet. Draining can dry out the pool plaster shorten its life and my eve cause surface cracking that usually resolves itself. Get you gunk and algae problem solved ad then we ca assess the state of you plaster.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Also, depending on where your water table is there is risk of the pool shell popping out of the ground. And you still have to scoop all the stuff out and SLAM when you refill because there is still algae on the walls.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

We drain, power wash and acid wash all the time in the Midwest. I wish I was in the south or west where you don't get the staining from the winter and don't need to worry about it. Personally I would drain it and have it cleaned up making sure you have the precautions of a low water table. Also yes, $1K is the going rate around my neck of the woods to have someone open your pool and do the power washing and acid washing.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, everyone. Great information. As of right now I will start removing the debris and see where I am at.