Pool Restoration - A labor of Love

Congratulations! Indeed its inspiring to see the pool full of sparkling water. I think the pump is on the low specs for a pool your size, but you will probably have to run it a few hours longer. Make sure you keep FC up to level, we would not like to see a green monster that size!

Felipe

Congratulations! Indeed its inspiring to see the pool full of sparkling water. I think the pump is on the low specs for a pool your size, but you will probably have to run it a few hours longer. Make sure you keep FC up to level, we would not like to see a green monster that size!

Felipe

Its true, the pump and filter are definitely on the low size for the job. I figure at least 16 hours per day when we are using the pool. I looked really hard at bigger equipment, but our swim season out here ends on Labor Day and really doesn't start until mid June. Really, its July in our house because we are always somewhere south chasing waves from the end of school until early July. I am paying out of pocket for everything and with a 2.5 month swim season, other things take priority. Correctly sized equipment would be commercial stuff, and the price jumps pretty good when you get commercial gear.

Regarding FC - It is funny my wife asked me the other day "What do we need for the pool? I am heading to town." and I was like "Bleach". She knows nothing of pool chemistry and asked "How Much?" and I said "ALL OF IT". She called me from the store, and asked me again, "How much bleach do you need seriously?" and I said "Seriously, all of it. If there is 20 bottles buy them all."

We made a new rule in our house that if anyone goes to the store, they have to come home with at least 2 bottles of bleach or they have to go back. Its a big pool I haven't been able to get an appreciable FC reading overnight yet.

I modeled the pool in 3-d to get the volume. I am a civil engineer by trade so I have the software around to do that stuff. Plus I have a pretty close relationship with our local public works director. He told me he would sit down with me and go over our water meter outputs during that time frame to corroborate my calculations.

Best. Dad. Ever.

Seriously. Make those memories! That's my one pool regret - that we didn't do the project when our son was younger. He will definitely jump in when friends are over, but I have to nag a little when it's just us. His little sisters on the other hand are little fish!

Happy swimming!! :)

I have a 35,000 gal pool that uses just under a gallon a day of bleach. Since your pool is twice the volume, plan on about 2 gal/day. You may use less being in a cooler climate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.