Ooops! Stenner pumped all my bleach in.

Ironman92

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2016
Katy/TX
This morning, I was planning on adding enough bleach to raise my FC up by 1 ppm. Based on PoolMath and my 22 gpd Stenner, it was 13 minutes. I turned the Stenner on and I'm not sure what happened, but the pump never turned off. I have my Stenner tied to my IAqualink and used it to turn on. I use a timer on my phone to let me know the time was up and I turned it off (or so I thought). When I came home tonight, I tested the pH and it was off the chart. When I looked at my Stenner, it was still running and my tank was empty. I probably had about 10 or 11 gallons in the tank. My pH was 7.8 and FC was 7.0 last night. Normally, I have the Stenner programmed for set times, but I turned it off to use pucks to raise my CYA to 50. I was dosing the Stenner manually to get to my target levels.

Full test from a week ago:
FC 6
CC 0
TC 6
CH 400 (yes, this was a little high)
TA 80
pH 7.5
Borates 50
CYA 40

I tested the FC by using a 5 ml sample and counted 44 drops, so I'm assuming my FC is 44.

Is there anything I can do besides wait for it to drop?

You can add hydrogen peroxide (the stuff in the brown bottle) I will let you do a search on how much to use. You can get it cheap at the Dollar Tree store.

Kim:kim:[/QUOTE

I just did a quick search (rule of thumb is use pool math and whatever volume you use to increase your FC by 6% bleach, you add that volume of 3% hydrogen peroxide to reduce) and that's a lot of hydrogen peroxide.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't worry about it. Leave you pool uncovered and it will burn off quite quickly under the Texas sun. That high of FC isn't good but as long as it is temporary it isn't dangerously high, I just wouldn't go swimming until it drops back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.