Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Downspout near pool question?

1. Back To Top    #1

Downspout near pool question?

Anybody have any idea how they will address my downspouts? Will they put them under the pavers or some kind of french drain? I'm asking this because my contract only says "downspouts within 5' of pool site will be connected and/or planter drains will be installed in the pool area are included in drainage system."
    downspouts.jpg
    Dig 4/12/17, Gunite 4/19/17, Deck Installed 5/2/17, Plaster 6/12/17
    13,000 gallon, 24 x 19 rectangular pool/spa, platinum quartz plaster, travertine deck with raised beam in sloped yard. Polaris 3900 Complete, Jandy vsp 2.7hp, Jandy JX1400 Natural Heater, Jandy PDA PS6 (Pool/Spa), TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Downspout near pool question?

Nate,

I would assume that the downspouts are connected into the deck drainage system.

Obviously you need to talk with your Pool Builder before the deck goes down, so you can solve this upfront..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

This is something you need to negotiate with the pb. Look at the current discharge and where it goes.

I was overly concerned and I made sure my drainage was addressed when we walked the design. I have two downspouts and a sump pump discharge that flows under my concrete decking and out to the end of my yard.

I don't have any handy pictures showing the trench but it ends at the end of my yard. There we dug large holes and filled with stone. Right now we are thinking about diverting the sump pump output and putting a rain barrel to run water our plants.

It is not the best solution but there was really now where else to direct our water.
    This a downspout and sump pump flow that needed someplace to go.

Here it is flowing towards the yards natural slope.
    Pool build spring/summer 2015. IG. 750 sq ft pool. 40 sq.ft spa. 18ft x 42ft rectangle, 31,000 gallons, SWG, DE Pentair model, 2 boosters variable speed model, heater master temp Pentair, Quartz finish Aegean Green, CoverStar Automated Pool Cover, Kreepy Krawley Platinum, TF100,SpeedStir My Build in Progress

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

When I had my pool built I had my landscape person put hard pipe drains in the ground, and all my rear downspouts connect to them, as does my output for my sand filter. My lawn is slopped and these empty into my woods well away from the pool. Speak to PB about what he means by his statements, as you definitely don't want roof runoff getting into your pool.

PS - nice looking design!
    38'x16' Fiberglass pool - 3.5' - 8' deep - 19,000 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWG (RC-52 cell), Pentair SuperFlo VS, Pentair SD70 Sand Filter, Coverstar Automatic Cover, 10' board, PAL Treo lighting, Polaris 9550 Sport robot, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 test kit.