Pump/Water Fall problem

Apr 25, 2017
The Woodlands
Hi! I'm new here. I've used this site to find some answers to a problem we had a year or so ago (thanks!). We are relatively new pool owners (less than 3 years) and are learning a lot but still have a lot to learn! We are trying to do things on our own, having gotten rid of the pool service when we moved in to this house.

Here's the situation. A couple weeks ago we cleaned the pool filter cartridges (we have a DE filter). My husband was coming down with a mega flu that day, so he may have done something wrong when he put the cartridges back in. (Actually, I brought the filters to Leslie's and had them put the cartridges back in, then brought it home and he put it all together). Since then, the water fall (which is how I judge when it's time to backwash) hasn't been running very strong. It will for a few days, but then putters out. The pool doesn't seem to be moving as well.

The pump settings are all the same. Nothing else is different. It just hasn't been working well so we cleaned the cartridges. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Thank you!

Bridget

Bridget,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your filter questions... :snorkle:

If your goal was to confuse me, you did an outstanding job... :p

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "... I brought the filters to Leslie's and had them put the cartridges back in..."

I believe that if you would post a couple of pics showing your equipment pad, including the pump, and filter, then it would make it easier for us to give you some good advice.

At this point, what you describe sounds like the filter is dirty again.. this could easily happen if your water is green or cloudy...

How are you chlorinating your pool? How are you testing your water?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Did you mean DE grids? More here about cleaning a DE filter, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

We recommend backwashing a filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.

The #1 cause of slow water flow is a clogged filter.
The #1 cause of clogged filters this time of year is algae growing.
The #1 cause of algae growing in a pool is not maintaining FC above the minimum level for your CYA at all times, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.