Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cement fixer-upper

1. Back To Top    #1

Cement fixer-upper

I have to fix several cracks and pits in our home made pool, as well repaint or add a lining. I need input on what type of product I should get for the cracks. Plus, since I really don't want to paint, I need creative suggestions on how to make an off the shelf AG liner work for this pool. It's basically a cement block lined hole in the ground with no plumbing openings... I'm having trouble adding photos right now, but will do it asap.

24' round homeowner built IG (mostly), cement block/rebar, cement surface, 11,800 gal., Intex sand filter model 70110 (2150 GPH), Intex SWG model ECO8110, Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cement fixer-upper

Here's a few quick pics to show the pool and some of its issues.

24' round homeowner built IG (mostly), cement block/rebar, cement surface, 11,800 gal., Intex sand filter model 70110 (2150 GPH), Intex SWG model ECO8110, Taylor K2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ya know, you put a liner track in there, some tile, a nice custom liner and add a skimmer and some returns you would have a darn nice pool there.

Is there rebar in there? Frankly I would put pool putty in that crack and see what happens. If it gets worse then I might clean it out and use epoxy or something but for now I'd stuff the crack with pool putty.

Custom liners are not that expensive. I would go have a liner manufacturer or two bid a liner for you. Or if you are lucky it might be very close to the size of some above ground pool liners. You would still need a tract
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, there's lots of rebar in there, I'm told. I hesitate to do too much to the pool because my diy husband is working way too much & I fear that he'll start but not have time to finish! Not that that happened before - wink, wink! I'll definitely get a few quotes on a custom liner, especially since I'm not sure how to add the fastening system for a standard AG liner, and would it have openings for the plumbing that Id have to deal with? I thought that adhesive maybe the way though...

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Wow!....St Mary's. I have hunted (pheasants) out there for the past 25 years. My cousins are from Winchester, KS and have friends who moved to St Mary's years ago. Small world......you live in stark but beautiful country.

There is a lot you can do to that pool but it will require a budget.

1. Homemade circulatory system - $1000 - for a small pump and filter and some piping. Not pretty but you have to circulate your water

2. Same as above but installing a skimmer - $1500

3. Vinyl liner - $500 - $800

That gives you an idea of some things. Most importantly is the pump and filter so you can keep your pool sanitary and algae free.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I see Aqua Bright being an option! If you want we can help you set up a system to filter the water. There are things you can hang over the side to use as a skimmer.

We can also help with the track holder IF you want to get a liner. I would be thinking about just patching it for now and see how it goes.

What is the back story on this pool and property? Did you just buy it? Any idea who built it and when it was built?

I hope you fix it up and let us help!

Oh and that doggy?????? SO CUTE!!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Cool pool! Pool putty is the thing to use on those cracks. It is a two part epoxy that cures underwater, available in black and white.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach