Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand New to this - Yellow Substance

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand New to this - Yellow Substance

Hi, I just took over my own pool care and I have a couple of questions.

I am using a Taylor K-2006 to test my water. I have a 10K gallon pool, fiberglass, SWG. I was running the pump 9 hours per day at 30% on the SWG until Saturday when I changed it to 6 hours per day and 25% on the SWG.

My very first test on Saturday had these results:
    FC - 9
    CC - 0.6
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 260
    CH - 190
    CYA - 80
    Salt - 3300

After the test is when I made the adjustments to the pump and SWG run time and percentages to bring my FC down. I also followed the Pool Math and brought my pH down to 7.0 in order to decrease my TA. I added chemicals to increase my CH. I've tested daily since then and have noticed a yellow substance forming in my pool. This substance was slightly there on Saturday, but has increased since Saturday.

Today, my results are:
    FC - 8.8
    CC - 0.2
    pH - 7.0 (I'm running two water features to attempt to increase)
    TA - 80
    CH - 320
    CYA - 70
    Salt - 3300

Now, back to the yellow stuff. When I brush or vacuum, I can see a "cloud" of particles moving in the water. When I look in my skimmer basket or clean out my cartridge filter, I definitely see the yellow substance. It is bubbly when it is on the surface of the water. I scooped some out and put in a plastic cup and the bubbles haven't diminished. It slightly stains the inside of the cup and my hands a faint yellow color when I touch it. I've attached a picture of my skimmer basket with the yellow substance inside.

Do I need to do additional treatments due to the yellow substance? Should I increase my pump time back up to 9 hours and just lower my SWG more? Anything else I am missing? Hoping to learn all this pool stuff so that I don't have to use a service or pool store!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10K gallon pool, fiberglass, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand New to this - Yellow Substance

Not sure what yellow substance is as others are way more qualified than me, but was curious how you dropped your TA so fast? 260 to 80 in 3 days seems impossible without lowering ph below recommended levels. I've been trying to lower mine from 180 to 100 and have only dropped mine by 30 using muriatic acid and keeping ph above 7.0
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't really know how I dropped it so fast. It went from 260 on Saturday to 125 on Sunday to 80 both yesterday and today. I added the Clorox version of pH down on both Saturday and Sunday to keep my pH at 7.0 both days, because it is what I had on hand.

4. Back To Top    #4

If that test kit is brand new, you might have static electricity on the TA reagent, which makes the drops smaller, which makes the test result artificially high. That may be what happened initially, and now it's somewhat dissipated. Just wipe the tip with a damp paper towel before testing for the next week or so to be sure.

Could the yellow stuff be pollen?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the tip on the TA reagent. The kit is brand new so that might have been what happened. I'll start wiping the tip. I'm hoping the yellow stuff is pollen! If so, I assume it will just cycle itself out as the pump runs?

6. Back To Top    #6

Sure looks like pollen.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

^^I agree. Looks like pollen. That time of year.
    24,000 Gallon In-Ground Plaster
    Pentair DE 48sf Filter
    Hayward Superpump
    Hayward Shark Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

pollen.....no doubt
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School