Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crazy question

1. Back To Top    #1

Crazy question

When Im rinsing all the stuff I use for my testing should I be rinsing in distilled water? Sink water? (Chlorine level is pretty high in our city water) or a bucket of pool water? I def notice chemical color changes when I rinse stuff off in sink water so I have been drying well befor using.
    Thanks
    14k gal Summer Escapes 24 x 52 AGP
    Intex 3000 gph .95 hp pump/16"sand filter TF-100
    Dolphin E-10 robotic pool cleaner💞
    N Central FL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Crazy question

I sit at the kitchen table to test, rinse at the sink, and I even wipe tube clean and dry afterwards, just me....I have also sat outside, rinsed in pool water, just move to next test and find No difference.
    Valley of the Sun, Arizona.....10k gunite/pebble (Re-surface March 2015) w/in floor Caretaker 99 cleaning heads -- Pentair FNS 60 DE filter -- Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed for pool -- Pentair Wisperflo 1 HP for boulder waterfall...Taylor K-2006 & Taylor K-2006C kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea, I did that too, sat at kit table (good natural light) and rinsed in sink and dried off. It just surprises how my tap water tests so high in chlorine
    N Central FL

4. Back To Top    #4

I was actually going to post similar question, so call me crazy too. For me, I dump out in yard and rinse out with hose then splash it around in pool for a couple seconds to get rid of the tap water and move on to next test.

I tend to do so outside because I get a fresh pool sample for each test. I have thought to just fill up my Leslie pool squirt bottle with pool water and use that for my tests, but I read some post on here that the ph and chlorine tests should be done as quickly as possible once the water is out of the pool. Not sure if I'm being OCD or not
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have thought to just fill up my Leslie pool squirt bottle with pool water and use that for my tests, but I read some post on here that the ph and chlorine tests should be done as quickly as possible once the water is out of the pool. Not sure if I'm being OCD or not
    That's the best plan. Take that squirt bottle inside and sit at the kitchen table. You have many minutes to perform the test accurately but you do not have many hours.

How much chlorine are finding in your tap. Irlizard?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well Dave from the looks of it.....a dehydrated person peed in my test tube...Bwaahahaha 4 ppm. Very yellow (tried to upload pic but the 3 I have used up my resources so no pic
    N Central FL

7. Back To Top    #7

It's always a good idea to rinse with Distilled water once you are done. Or, bottled drinking RO water if you have one of those installed at your sink. Any higher purity rinse will help keep your glassware nicer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    That's the best plan. Take that squirt bottle inside and sit at the kitchen table. You have many minutes to perform the test accurately but you do not have many hours.

How much chlorine are finding in your tap. Irlizard?
    I just did the FC test from the TF-100 kit I got and its only 1 ppm....the first time I automatically used the little red/yellow vials, the OT chlorine test and I really have a hard time gauging color shade (obviously from my eyeballing 3ppm) Now that I have a test that will give me a definitive number I cant imagine ever using the OT test again...its the same kit I got from Walmart for chlorine and pH testing. Why is it included in the TF-100 kit?
    thanks for your time and help, Im having a blast with this.
    N Central FL

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Why is it included in the TF-100 kit?
    It is the only test in the kit for pH. Secondly, the OTO test is a good quick test to check "ballpark" numbers.....it's quicker than FAS/DPD

FAS?DPD is the cadillac, though, and it is all some folks ever use.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

I just did the FC test from the TF-100 kit I got and its only 1 ppm....the first time I automatically used the little red/yellow vials, the OT chlorine test and I really have a hard time gauging color shade (obviously from my eyeballing 3ppm)
    OT tests total chlorine, which is fc + cc. Most chlorine in tap water is combined chlorine.

Try testing fc and cc using fasdpd on tap water.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    It is the only test in the kit for pH. Secondly, the OTO test is a good quick test to check "ballpark" numbers.....it's quicker than FAS/DPD

FAS?DPD is the cadillac, though, and it is all some folks ever use.
    Thats all I use the OT for is pH. For chlorine you have a convert here : ) Since Ive been trying to get rid of the bottom crud by slamming and testing lots and LOTS while im working doubles and on call I can now preform the FAS/DPD at any hour of the day or night and in my sleep quickly and accurately; Im all about efficacy : )
    This site is the bomb!!!
    N Central FL