What pump shaft seal do I need?

Jun 18, 2014
jasper, IN
I have a Hayward 1.5 HP pump that was installed in 2002. On the body of the pump, there is a sticker that has the part number sp1580x15? (the '?" is not completely legible, but I think it is "c").

According to Hayward, that makes it a Power-Flo LX. Externally, it does look like like the pump Hayward shows in their PowerFlo LX parts diagram
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts%20Diagrams/Power-Flo%20LX.pdf

I replaced the motor four or five years ago. At the same time, I bought a replacement seal which fit perfectly. I don't recall who I bought it from.

It is leaking and I need to replace it. Hayward shows a pump seal part # SPX1580KA for this pump. I ordered a replacement from Amazon which ended up being a generic PS-2131. It does not fit. The hole in the impeller half of the seal is not large enough to fit over the impeller shaft. Additionally, the seal came with a cup and an O ring which I don't need - on my pump, the ceramic/rubber part of the seal sits directly in the pump body. Also, on the old seal, the carbon ring was the same width as the mating ceramic ring. On the replacement (and from google images of other ps-2131), the width of the carbon ring is less than the mating ceramic ring (I don't know if that matters).

I am really confused. Several sources cross reference the SPX1500KA to PS-2131. However, when I look at google images for PS-2131, they all show the cup and o ring, and what few show good enough detail seem to show the smaller impeller shaft opening. That may just be my imagination, though.

Even more confusing: In the Hayward PowerFlo LX parts diagram the seal assembly is described as "seal assembly with cup".

Lastly, the Hayward parts diagram says "refer to part number on original equipment" for impeller part number. Google seems to indicate that a number of different impellers were used in the PowerFlo LX pump, and looking at the images for them, the impeller shafts appear to be different diameters. Worse, none of the pictures I saw were exactly like my impeller.

One reference I found on the web suggests that Hayward has only used two types of seals. One seal is for pre PowerFlow LX pumps (which mine definitely is not based on pictures), and the cup design for PowerFlow LX and later.

I am the only person who has touched this pump, so I know the pump housing and impeller are the originals.

Any ideas on what seal I need? is PS-2131 the correct number, and I just got a bum knockoff? Or do I have some sort of mutant PowerFlo LX?

Hi Gomez. For something this specific, I'd suggest looking at the GOKITS (seal replacements) at Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com - They recently helped me sort out a motor model upgrade and if you post a question on a part they're pretty quick to respond same day - eg yes this will work with your pump or no, you need xyz kit...that the of response.
Just search for the part and then pst your question.

I've been happy with their pricing and customer support in past transactions. They're also members here at TFP and generally a great resource for DIYers!

Hope that helps!

Hi Gomez. For something this specific, I'd suggest looking at the GOKITS (seal replacements) at Swimming Pool Supplies - Pool Parts - INYOPools.com - They recently helped me sort out a motor model upgrade and if you post a question on a part they're pretty quick to respond same day - eg yes this will work with your pump or no, you need xyz kit...that the of response.
Just search for the part and then pst your question.

I've been happy with their pricing and customer support in past transactions. They're also members here at TFP and generally a great resource for DIYers!

Hope that helps!

Thanks @SwampWoman Inyo figured it out. The answer? I'm an idiot. Well, Inyo was nice enough to not say that, but that what it comes down to. The inner metal sleeve of the old seal had stuck on the impeller shaft. The new seal I have is the correct seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.