Intex trouble ... trying to connect a solar collector

Jun 10, 2009
New to this site a few weeks ago, and have learned a ton ... thanks for all the info.

Now I have a question I haven't seen asked ... I am trying to add a sunheater (2'x20') solar collector to my 16' x 42" easy set pool. I have upgraded the filter to the 1500 so I had to use the Intex adapters on the pool side that allow a bigger filter to be added to a small pool like we have.

Pic of that adapters used:

10722.jpg

Now I have threaded 1 1/2" on the pool side, and threaded 1 1/2" on the 1500 filter. The pool place doesn't have anything to help. What I am asking is, what do I need to buy that would allow me to NOT use the intex threaded hose style connections, or more likely what would take the pool side from a threaded connection ... to a hose clamp connection?

It looks like on the filter side that I could connect a standard hose and and use hose clamps just ignoring the threaded option ... but on the pool side I am out of ideas.

4th year with this little pool (kids are still small) but now I am ready to get the solar collector set up ... that is new.

If more pictures would be helpful let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Attachments

• IMG_4843.JPG
    IMG_4843.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_4844.JPG
    IMG_4844.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 227
Well ... it looks like I have solved my own problem ... more simple that I had first thought.

One thing that I did not realize was that the black rubber piece that comes out of this little pools is actually 1 1/4" (there is a little insert that attached to it that makes a a bigger (non-standard) size). So when I took off the little off-white adapter a standard 1 1/4" hose fit just fine.

So now the set-up uses the Intex weird threaded hoses and adapter on the pool input (skimmer) side into the filter. Then used 1 1/2" from the filter to the solar collector ... then 1 1/4" from the solar collector return to the pool input.

So far it seems to be working great ... on Sunday I filled the pool and the temp was 64 degrees from the tap. Full day of sun, 83-85 partly sunny on Sunday, and the same today (Monday) ... and today the kids were in the pool .... 76 degrees. Tomorrow should be another nice day so hopefully we can hit the 80's ... one benefit of a small pool ;).

Attached some pics if there are any other Intex owners that maybe are trying to connect a solar collector (btw this was $99 from walmart 2'x20')

One question is ... by reducing the hose sizes on the collector side will I damage the (already not great) intex filter?

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 133
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.