Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New heater advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New heater advice

I am in need of a new heater. Mine never fired last year, but we were lucky to have a warm summer and never needed it. My pool is a 20x40 igp, with around 35,000 gal, and I do use a solar blanket. I live in Michigan, so could use the extra help when pool drops below desired temps. My current heater is a 220,000 btu Laars lite 2.

I am most likely picking between Raypak and Pentair heaters. What size should I go with? The price difference is not that big so if 400,000 is best, than thats fine. But, if the 336,000 btu Raypak is good enough, than don't need over kill. I just want to make sure I am getting the correct one, because it is a lot of money, and don't want to waste it.

Also, from what I have read the cuproNickel is not necessary, but doesn't add too much to the price, so is it something I should get for another $100? Any other advice welcome! Thanks for any help!

Steve

- - - Updated - - -

Also, do I need to be worried about the size of the gas line when increasing to ofrom my smaller heater?
    Steve

20x40 35k gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, New Pentair Superflo vs pump, 220 btu heater, aquaclean EZ robot

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New heater advice

Raypak always gets my pick. If you can swing the 400K BTU, go for it. The 336K unit is what I call an oddball size. With the 400K you will obviously get a faster heat up time.

Cupro nickel? Well I don't think it is necessary as it doesn't buy you much other than a little bit more time if you don't maintain your pool chemicals correctly. The choice is yours.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you need to make sure you gas service can support the larger heater. The bigger the heater the faster it will heat your pool. It doesn't cost any more to heat your pool with a bigger heater.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure on how large of a supply pipe I have now. How big would I need for a 400k heater? Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

http://cdn.globalimageserver.com/fet...5-1e29edd2f913, this will have the information you need

6. Back To Top    #6

How far away is your heater from the gas meter?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Approx. 40 ft or so

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a pic of the gas line coming in. Looks like at least an inch -1.5 " black pipe, tappered down to maybe .5" or .75" going into the heater. Is this sufficient?
    Steve

20x40 35k gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, New Pentair Superflo vs pump, 220 btu heater, aquaclean EZ robot

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have 40ft (equivalent length which includes pipe and fittings) of pipe you will need 1-1/4" pipe to supply 400kbtu of natural gas. Most likely you have 1" pipe installed currently for your 220kbtu. 1" pipe at 40ft is rated for 273kbtu of gas flow.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is the pic. Think its 1.5" looks to be the same size as the return lines from my pool. Will that be enough?

pool gas line.jpg
    Steve

11. Back To Top    #11

I can't tell what pipe size that is from here. Look on the fittings to see if they have a size marking some of them do. You need to verify with your gas company that your meter can handle enough flow if you haven't already. Looking at the size of the pip feeding it is only part of the answer you need to know what your meter and supply service is rated for.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

12. Back To Top    #12

So I guess I'm kinda stupid. Upon closer inspection, the black pipe is like my pool line, but has a yellow gas line inside of it. I still can't quite see what size the line is, so will have to get more into it this weekend. I guess the good news is that if I need to pull a larger size pipe, I should be able to snake it through the existing black pipe. I spoke to a guy at inyopools yesterday to get some more info and he said with my length run, I would be fine with and 1 1/4" gas line.
    Steve