Pool Filter, Multiport, and pump - Pool company wants $2,800?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

I was just curious on a price from my pool company to install a multiport, filter, and pump on my pool. My pump is pretty loud & I think i want to replace it - the other stuff seemed to make sense to do all at the same time.

$2,800 seems pretty steep. They said a Hayward pump and a pentair filter. My current pump is a 2hp.

Thanks,
Rich

Last year I got a quote on a pump and filter. The installed cost was for each was ~$250 higher than the MSRP.

The MSRP on a large cartridge filter might be around $1000, so installed would be $1250. A 2hp pump might be $700-800, so installed call it $1000. Add in a few hundred for the valve, and you're around $2500, so $2800 doesn't seem too unreasonable.

Hi,

I was just curious on a price from my pool company to install a multiport, filter, and pump on my pool. My pump is pretty loud & I think i want to replace it - the other stuff seemed to make sense to do all at the same time.

$2,800 seems pretty steep. They said a Hayward pump and a pentair filter. My current pump is a 2hp.

Thanks,
Rich

How handy are you? The install of the pump, filter, multiport is mostly gluing PVC together. You can do it!

That size VS pump retails between 900 and 1000 from online retailers. Same for a filter that size. 2800 seems like a lot for a filter and a pump but that's probably a decent quote.

Ask for a specific break down of the parts they are planning to install and search for prices online. That will tell you how much they are marking up their prices. The blanket statement we don't recommend VS pumps is a red flag for me. I would ask specifically why they don't recommend them. What type of pool is this? is it a commercial/public pool or a private one.

Ask for a specific break down of the parts they are planning to install and search for prices online. That will tell you how much they are marking up their prices. The blanket statement we don't recommend VS pumps is a red flag for me. I would ask specifically why they don't recommend them. What type of pool is this? is it a commercial/public pool or a private one.

Hi,

No answer on VS beyond problems in the past with them.

Looks like my specific part list is:

FNS Plus DE Filter - Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter FNSP60 180009. Pentair 180009.
Super Pump II - https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP2615X20-Super-Max-Rated-Single-Speed/dp/B000ESOU18
+ a multiport (didnt get specific brand)

Looks like an online parts order would put it close to $1,400 - $1500?

Any thoughts beyond renegotiate?

Thanks,
Rich

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For a pump and filter change 1300 markup and labor charge seems pretty high.

To go back to your original post where you wanted a quieter pump going to a single speed super pump II isn't going to solve that problem.
There's no reason a VS pump wouldn't work for your pool and it would be a lot quieter spinning at reduced speed. At the same time you would be ok with a 2-speed pump as well.

Why are you replacing the filter? Is it broken in some way?

Is there another pool company you can talk to this one doesn't seem to be too up on their game.

So I am now leaning towards:

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Fiberglass FNSP60 D.E. Pool Filter
Pentair 261152 Multiport Valve Kit 2in. Threaded
Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

$1,875 free shipping & no tax

The filter may be slightly squished in the middle from my overtighening (dont want to pop it open yet to check). Its mainly just 30 years old is the bigger issue. Nothing wrong besides some very slight leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.