Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Filter, Multiport, and pump - Pool company wants $2,800?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Filter, Multiport, and pump - Pool company wants $2,800?

Hi,

I was just curious on a price from my pool company to install a multiport, filter, and pump on my pool. My pump is pretty loud & I think i want to replace it - the other stuff seemed to make sense to do all at the same time.

$2,800 seems pretty steep. They said a Hayward pump and a pentair filter. My current pump is a 2hp.

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Filter, Multiport, and pump - Pool company wants $2,800?

Yes that is steep but probably in the ballpark. I would suggest a vs pump (or a two speed pump).

I would also suggest calling around and getting several estimates. I would suspect you can beat that price.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

So while I don’t have any specifics – for a 40,000 gallon pool – what would the parts cost be for a multiport, 2hp vs pump, and appropriate size filter?

4. Back To Top    #4

Last year I got a quote on a pump and filter. The installed cost was for each was ~$250 higher than the MSRP.

The MSRP on a large cartridge filter might be around $1000, so installed would be $1250. A 2hp pump might be $700-800, so installed call it $1000. Add in a few hundred for the valve, and you're around $2500, so $2800 doesn't seem too unreasonable.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi,

I was just curious on a price from my pool company to install a multiport, filter, and pump on my pool. My pump is pretty loud & I think i want to replace it - the other stuff seemed to make sense to do all at the same time.

$2,800 seems pretty steep. They said a Hayward pump and a pentair filter. My current pump is a 2hp.

Thanks,
    Rich
    How handy are you? The install of the pump, filter, multiport is mostly gluing PVC together. You can do it!
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

6. Back To Top    #6

That size VS pump retails between 900 and 1000 from online retailers. Same for a filter that size. 2800 seems like a lot for a filter and a pump but that's probably a decent quote.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

7. Back To Top    #7

So after re-reading the email, its 2,600 in parts for the pump, filter, multiport, and some pvc + $150 in labor to put it all in.

They said they dont recommend VS pumps

8. Back To Top    #8

Highway robbery. DIY and save the $$$. It really isn't hard at all...
    20000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG Plaster, Hayward Aqua Rite 40k SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Ask for a specific break down of the parts they are planning to install and search for prices online. That will tell you how much they are marking up their prices. The blanket statement we don't recommend VS pumps is a red flag for me. I would ask specifically why they don't recommend them. What type of pool is this? is it a commercial/public pool or a private one.
    Chuck-

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Ask for a specific break down of the parts they are planning to install and search for prices online. That will tell you how much they are marking up their prices. The blanket statement we don't recommend VS pumps is a red flag for me. I would ask specifically why they don't recommend them. What type of pool is this? is it a commercial/public pool or a private one.

Hi,

No answer on VS beyond problems in the past with them.

Looks like my specific part list is:

FNS Plus DE Filter - Pentair FNS Plus D.E. Filter FNSP60 180009. Pentair 180009.
    Super Pump II - https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP261.../dp/B000ESOU18
    + a multiport (didnt get specific brand)

Looks like an online parts order would put it close to $1,400 - $1500?

Any thoughts beyond renegotiate?

Thanks,
    Rich
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

For a pump and filter change 1300 markup and labor charge seems pretty high.

To go back to your original post where you wanted a quieter pump going to a single speed super pump II isn't going to solve that problem.
    There's no reason a VS pump wouldn't work for your pool and it would be a lot quieter spinning at reduced speed. At the same time you would be ok with a 2-speed pump as well.

Why are you replacing the filter? Is it broken in some way?

Is there another pool company you can talk to this one doesn't seem to be too up on their game.
    Chuck-

12. Back To Top    #12

So I am now leaning towards:

Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pool Pump Ultra Energy-Efficient, 230V
    Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Fiberglass FNSP60 D.E. Pool Filter
    Pentair 261152 Multiport Valve Kit 2in. Threaded
    Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

$1,875 free shipping & no tax

The filter may be slightly squished in the middle from my overtighening (dont want to pop it open yet to check). Its mainly just 30 years old is the bigger issue. Nothing wrong besides some very slight leaking.
    40k IG Gunite pool (47x21), Jandy iQ904-PS, Pentair 011018 VS Pump, Pentair 180009 FNS Plus Filter, Pentair 261152 Multiport
    Stenner Liquid Chlorine Dispenser - 30 gallon tank, Zodiac PB4-60 Polaris Booster Pump, Polaris 280 Pool cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL Become a TFP Supporter!