Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding More Salt Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding More Salt Question

We've had our AquaRite SWG running for a couple of weeks now and I'd like to add more salt. It's at 3000 ppm and I want to raise it another 200 ppm. My question is do I need to turn off the SWG for 24 hours and let the new addition of salt circulate, or is that not necessary? Thanks
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding More Salt Question

No need to turn it off, pour in the salt, brush it around a bit, and let it dissolve.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

No you can add it right into the pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks very much. I was wondering because I know when it was new and we were initially adding salt, the SWG was supposed to be off for 24 hours before being turned on.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thats because on initial startup, the salt had not had a chance to dissolve and come up to proper levels for generator operation. It takes a day or so for any new salt addition to completely disperse and show up as an increased concnetration.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, thanks Brad, I really appreciate it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mickey4paws
    We've had our AquaRite SWG running for a couple of weeks now and I'd like to add more salt. It's at 3000 ppm and I want to raise it another 200 ppm. My question is do I need to turn off the SWG for 24 hours and let the new addition of salt circulate, or is that not necessary? Thanks
    When you say "it's at 3000" are you talking about an accurate test or what the SWG control box is reporting? The control box can be very inaccurate. I trust my AquaChek test strips over the SWG.
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, Frank. I just took an Aquacheck test strip test and it's showing 5.6 or 3380 ppm. So that's more accurate, and I don't need to add any salt?

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, Frank. I just took an Aquacheck test strip test and it's showing 5.6 or 3380 ppm. So that's more accurate, and I don't need to add any salt?
    I would not think you need more salt. The test strips are pretty accurate. If your Aquarite average reading is low, you can reset it with this method:

calibrating-an-aqua-rite-t11556.html?hilit=Calibrate%20Aquarite
    22,000 Gunite, Cart Filter, Aquarite SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by frankgh
    I would not think you need more salt. The test strips are pretty accurate. If your Aquarite average reading is low, you can reset it with this method:

calibrating-an-aqua-rite-t11556.html?hilit=Calibrate%20Aquarite
    Thanks so much, Frank, I really appreciate it. I was wondering if it was possible to calibrate it. I am going to try this.