Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floating Liner Help ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Floating Liner Help ?

Hey all, did some searching already but could use some more advice.

We've had about 8" of rain over 2 days here! Now we've had major tropical storms and rains before but this is the first time the liner has floated and pulled away from the coping and walls.

1. I noticed this morning my overflow line was clogged and not flowing freely. I'm thinking its possible rain over night got above the coping of the liner and worked behind the liner? That clog has been resolved and drain line is flowing.

2. Its possible the ground water has gotten so bad to get behind the liner? Again never occurred before but 1st time for anything.

Wife has said its gotten worse in the 45min since I left house for work.

So, what are my options right now? Pool pumps are turned off. I don't own a small pump (like for a cover) or anything besides a shop-vac. Rain should taper off later today. I'll call the pool company for help or advice but anything I can do now?
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Floating Liner Help ?

No help from me, but I'll bump it to see if someone else will chime in.
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825

3. Back To Top    #3

The big thing right now is not to panic. Since it's an inground liner pool, the bottom should be vermiculite and if so, it's porous. It may take a while, especially if the water table is high, but the water should slowly migrate from behind the liner.

Do you know the soil composition there?
    Also, are there any well points near the pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I was in Raleigh/Cary yesterday and participated in the rains by getting inadvertently very wet. Yeah, y'all got drenched and I was glad to get back to Sunny FL and dry out.

Unclogging that drain line was the first thing to do. It could've overflowed behind the coping but a more likely suspect is it overflowed across the decking and then became part of the groundwater.

It is the same result either way......you have groundwater behind your liner.

You'll get no help from a pump unless the PB installed a well point and you can lower the pump into it (that's doubtful)

So as the groundwater recedes, the liner will start to go back up against the frame. Your job is to guide it as it goes so it ends up against the frame and stays there.....that's not easy in many cases.

The best approach is using brooms to push out the wrinkles and guide the liner back into place as best as you can. It may take some time but the reports from members on the forum report pretty good success.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Last winter we had the same thing. My liner floated everywhere after everything settled down my liner went back into place perfectly. My pool company told me the most important thing is to keep the pool as full as possible during this time.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s300i robot, Raypak 406k Heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Take a piece of pvc pipe and slide it in behind the liner then put your vacuum hose inside the pvc pipe hook it up to the skimmer and pump either to waste or filter it and put it in the pool
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics