Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex 2 inlets no skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex 2 inlets no skimmer

After 6 years, it was time to retire the old 18' x 52" Intex pool and get another. I replaced the liner once during that time (mainly due to neglect and poor maintenance) and the frame was rusting now (Southwest Louisiana), but it wasn't as bad as I thought. So the new pool came with 2 inlets and no skimmer. I'm thinking of putting the in-wall skimmer in this one as well, but I'm not sure how to plug off one of the holes. Has anyone made modifications to this 2 inlet pool, and if so, do you have pictures? Thanks in advance.

Intex 18 x 52 AG (about 7600 gallons) (1-year-old liner)
    Intex 16" sand filter and Krystal Clear SWG (both brand new)
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Intex 2 inlets no skimmer

I know I've seen threads about this exact topic before. As I recall, the second suction line gets converted to a second return.

There's this thread that might have a link to something useful, or you can try the search box if you haven't discovered it yet. If you do go for the search, look for That means pictures.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I know I've seen threads about this exact topic before. As I recall, the second suction line gets converted to a second return.

There's this thread that might have a link to something useful, or you can try the search box if you haven't discovered it yet. If you do go for the search, look for That means pictures.
    Thanks! I had checked out that thread. I did a search but didn't come up with what I was looking for, probably searching for the wrong terms. I know someone has already dealt with this and I can't be the only one. Thanks again!

TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

4. Back To Top    #4

This one has pictures and a parts list Side Wall Skimmer With Dual Inlet Liner

Use dual intex skimmer as search words and you'll find a lot,
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for that one! Lots of info!
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the black plug one one. It's just there doing nothing, except plugging the precut hole in the pool. Then one hose stays hooked up to the other (which is also plugged) so 100% of the water goes through the skimmer. I found using inlet plus the skimmer didn't work so well. Plugging them both allows great flow through the skimmer. Plus, it was cheap, no special parts needed, except a new skimmer adaptor to work with the 1 1/4 hose.

1st time pool owner: 16x48 Intex Ultraframe, 5061 gallons, intex SWG, 1500 gph cartridge filter (635T) , Gorilla pad, SP1091LX Hayward skimmer, K2006 and K1766 test kits, high iron well water, Poolmate Metal out, 5 gallon bucket/polyfill filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! I seem to only have one plug though. I'll have to look into getting another one. I assume you have an in-wall skimmer, correct?
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

8. Back To Top    #8

I added a skimmer and opened up both of the intex inlets to 1.5 inches and added Hayward through the wall fittings. There are many examples on here.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

9. Back To Top    #9

I just plugged both of mine with the black plugs and left the hoses and T connected after installing the skimmer. Looks kinda blah just having two hoses hanging there doing nothing but Im cheap and dont want to spend the money to do anything else.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam