Hi I am Rob in Gilbert AZ, new to pool ownership (1 yr), trouble with acid pump

RobHJr

Apr 24, 2017
Gilbert
20170424_175641[2042].jpgWe drained and refilled the pool for high calcium, refilled and balanced, last weekend. I am having trouble with a Stenner Pump for acid dosing, it runs but there is no output. Ph is climbing and I am having to add acid manually, and watching a manual dosing I can see that the acid level is unchanging. No acid is being pumped. Are there any ideas out there? I am a new pool owner (first pool, came with the used house we bought). The rubber tube inside the plastic housing seems to be intact, and the pump mechanism appears to run and sound normally. The acid ran dry at the end of last year maybe it needs to be primed. But I don't know how.

I have had the ph rise to 8 in 4 days, and after adding 2 qts of acid, it is back to 8.0 again in another 4 days. That seems like a lot to me.

Pool is
About 12500 gallons, in ground, pebble sheen walls
Built in 2013 I think
Using IC40 chlorinator for sanitation
Controlled by Intellichem panel, hooked up to an Intellichor panel
Acid and chlorine output are regulated via these devices
Salt water
Muratic acid via Stenner Pump 45MPS

Cartridge filters
Variable speed Pentair pump

Welcome to TFP -

The stenner pumps are auto priming. Once primed and plenty of liquid to pull from, they don't lose their prime between usages. You could have a clogged input or a crack in the intake piping allowing air to leak in so it won't suction properly.

Hi Rob and welcome. :wave: Besides the advice GND provided on the pump itself, we might need to know what's causing your pH to rise so quickly. Typical reasons for pH climbing are:
- Elevated TA (what's your TA?). If it's above 60, consider lowering per the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page.
- Aeration: Spillovers, bubblers, SWG, etc, all contribute to aeration and pH rise. More aeration = increased rise
- New plaster which your isn't

Hope this helps.