Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What robot meets this criteria?

1. Back To Top    #1

What robot meets this criteria?

Hello - Thinking strongly of going from my Hayward Navigator suction cleaner (which needs replacing) to a robot. I currently have to plug it into my skimmer valve which I do not mind at all but keep thinking my underground pipes could get clogged. That might be the problem now instead of my Navigator needing to be replaced but my husband is saying it is the unit and not a clog.

I am researching to try to find one that meets this criteria: *Light enough that I can take it in and out of the water easily. *Swivel cord. *Easy cleaning filter basket. *Can climb up the sides to the waterline. Big plus if it could also do stairs. *I want to keep it around $700.
    All my wants seem to be a stretch for that price but what is the best. least expensive robot out there? Thanks in advance!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What robot meets this criteria?

I just ditched my Pentair Kreepy Krawly suction cleaner for a Dolphin S300i. SO. MUCH. BETTER!

I now run my VS pump at a lot lower speed where I went from over 1kW energy usage on the pump to about 350W. The robot only uses 250W of power and I only run it a few times per week (so far three) so it's definitely paying off. It does a much better job than my suction cleaner. It has a top loading basket for easy cleaning. No swivel cord but, honestly, it doesn't need it. The cord never seems to get curled and I believe the robots nowadays are programmed to execute equivalent numbers of CW/CCW turns so as to to not tangle to cord. It's got some weight to it, but it's easy for me to pull in and out of the pool. Honestly, the swivel cords sound like a bad idea to me because that would make them much more prone to failure. That said, the cord type was not at all high on my list. The S300i has an integrated fines and coarse basket filter so you don't have to change filter types - the corse basket insert catches all the big stuff and the pleated fine filter takes out all the sand and silt. It has Bluetooth controls and lots of cycle option and cleaning modes (normal, high-speed, floor only, tile line, etc). It's also very impressive on the tile line as it really scrubs them well with a bit of a tilt to the robot to ensure the brushes hit the whole tile.

I'd look at the S line of dolphin or equivalent models.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Lisa,

Most robots do not do stairs... Did your Navigator do stairs?

Here is a good thread about the type of robot that Matt is recommending... https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...ny-s-Discovery

When one of mine dies, it will be the one I buy next...

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In that price range, check out the Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean.

Also, the Doheny's Discovery and Dolphin S200.

Crystal
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

The Dolphin Discovery would probably meet most of your criteria. They have one that is open box that appears to have full warranty at the price you are looking for as posted below. It has the basket and according to the description is supposed to be lightweight. There is a multiple page thread on the discovery here that could answer more questions if you are interested. It does not have a swivel though, but the cleaners usually will try to move in both directions so the cord shouldn't really get tangled.

The smartpool cleaner like I have will also meet most of your criteria for 600 dollars. It has a swivel and it is lightweight with a water release function as you pull it out of the water. It does not have a filter, but uses a bag with a frame at the top. It is very simple to clean. It works great but I hesitate to recommend it to most people as I really don't know how long they will last.

Both will climb the walls, but I've never had a cleaner that will do stairs very well if at all.

Doheny's Discovery Powered by Dolphin | Doheny's Pool Supplies Fast

Amazon.com : Smartpool NC74 Scrubber 60 Plus Robotic Pool Cleaner for IG Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDLu View Post
    Hello - Thinking strongly of going from my Hayward Navigator suction cleaner (which needs replacing) to a robot. I currently have to plug it into my skimmer valve which I do not mind at all but keep thinking my underground pipes could get clogged. That might be the problem now instead of my Navigator needing to be replaced but my husband is saying it is the unit and not a clog.

I am researching to try to find one that meets this criteria: *Light enough that I can take it in and out of the water easily. *Swivel cord. *Easy cleaning filter basket. *Can climb up the sides to the waterline. Big plus if it could also do stairs. *I want to keep it around $700.
    All my wants seem to be a stretch for that price but what is the best. least expensive robot out there? Thanks in advance!
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry to be one more that rains on your stairs request, but not even the best do much with stairs. Still have to brush them if you want them clean, but its no big deal once you see how well a robot really cleans the rest. Small potatoes.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

What robot meets this criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Sorry to be one more that rains on your stairs request, but not even the best do much with stairs. Still have to brush them if you want them clean, but its no big deal once you see how well a robot really cleans the rest. Small potatoes.
    This.

My tigershark qc will do all but top step, which is a safety feature. Most will do this due to possible running outside of pool cutoff (beach entry).

But still best to brush down first. Takes seconds.
    45,000 gallon (18x49) in ground plaster in Houston. [Gallery]
    2HP Hayward Northstar Pump, Hayward DE 6020 (60sqft) filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair SuperFlo 1HP -340038 water feature/fountain pump
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 w wireless remote, Hayward TigerShark QC, & Taylor 2006c

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you everyone. I narrowed it down to the Doheny Discovery and the Dolphin Nautilus, and ended up ordering the Discovery. Will report back after we have it and are using it. Thanks!
    17,000 gallon inground pool; Plaster redone January 2015; Pentair Cartridge Filter; SWG; Age of pool unknown (house built in 1973); Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.; Doheny Discovery robot cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Good choice!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

10. Back To Top    #10

I think TFP should get kickback for all Discoveries we've helped sell.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

And Dohennys, and Dolphin Premiers.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links: